I was talking to a friend Monday night who is a marathon runner.
Although he did not participate in the Boston Marathon this year, it was on his bucket list. Now he’s not so sure he wants to keep it.
Monday, as he put it, was “runner’s 9/11” because, as he stated a number of times, “nothing will be the same at races.”
For years, the Department of Homeland Safety has been warning us of places and gatherings that are defined as “soft targets” and Monday was a cruel and tragic example of exactly what that term means.
But I hope it’s not different for runners and sports fans. I will not cancel my Cardinals or Coyotes season tickets. In fact, I was at the Coyotes games Monday night and didn’t worry.
But I feel for my friend who said that his passion and the enjoyment he gets from running long distances in organized events will never be the same.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night