I was talking to a friend Monday night who is a marathon runner.
Although he did not participate in the Boston Marathon this year, it was on his bucket list. Now he’s not so sure he wants to keep it.
Monday, as he put it, was “runner’s 9/11” because, as he stated a number of times, “nothing will be the same at races.”
For years, the Department of Homeland Safety has been warning us of places and gatherings that are defined as “soft targets” and Monday was a cruel and tragic example of exactly what that term means.
But I hope it’s not different for runners and sports fans. I will not cancel my Cardinals or Coyotes season tickets. In fact, I was at the Coyotes games Monday night and didn’t worry.
But I feel for my friend who said that his passion and the enjoyment he gets from running long distances in organized events will never be the same.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon