Troy Farah hates Phoenix. He said so in a recent Vice.com blog post titled, fittingly, REASONS WHY PHOENIX IS THE WORST PLACE EVER.
In this blog post, he wrote Phoenix ‘shouldn’t even exist’ as a city. He thinks this way because it’s too beige here, because our shopping malls have become landmarks and because of, among other things, Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Here are five reasons Farah is wrong.
Lots and lots of sunshine.
I’ve seen estimates that the Valley gets 330 days of sunshine. Sure, Farah may be right, there are shades of beige everywhere and the weather is brutally hot here in the summer, but the Valley gets so much sun that it is boring. Valley residents even love the rain because it happens so infrequently. Tell me another place that happens?
Science has also shown that sunlight can improve moods and even improve your health, providing ’90 to 95 percent of our vitamin D.’ So, Phoenicians may have to go outside wearing sunblock SPF 1000 sunblock, but I’d rather live with 330 days of sunshine than 100 days of rain and clouds.
2) Less traffic
It takes over an hour for 30 percent of commuters in New York City to get to work. The average commute there takes 40 minutes. In Washington D.C., it takes 26 percent of workers an hour to drive to work and then another hour to get home at night. Phoenix didn’t even make the top 20 list when it comes to longest commute cities.
Here, the average commute is about 25 minutes. Phoenix is tied with the national average. This is one of the best things about Phoenix, not sitting in traffic as we cruise by our landmark malls.
3) Lower cost of living
Compared to other big cities around the United States, the cost of living here is again, right about the national average. Money goes a little further here than it does in San Francisco.
For example, rent is 221 percent higher in San Francisco than in Phoenix. Groceries are over 40 percent more expensive there. And here’s the real selling point: Someone making $50,000 in Phoenix would have to earn $82,165 in San Francisco to enjoy the same cost of living.
Even Sheriff Joe Arpaio can’t change that.
The Phoenix area has plenty of outdoor activities. Now, it’s not advisable to hike Camelback Mountain when it’s 112 degrees outside. However, that’s still better than not being able use the outdoors because it’s too cold and snowy.
The Valley easily has nine months of great weather and great outdoor activities.
There are over 250 golf courses in the Phoenix area. And yes, it’s still possible to golf in July in the heat. Plus, it’s cheaper then. So, Phoenicians can literally golf year round. People in Massachusetts cannot.
5) Craft breweries
Phoenix has been named as one of Draft Magazine’s ‘Beertowns.’ There are award-winning breweries all over the Valley.
So when it’s blazing hot, it’s easy to relax with a nice, refreshing craft brew. Places like Four Peaks, San Tan, Phoenix Ale and the recently-named best new brewery in the world, Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company, are making this a great beer town, competing with the likes of Boulder, Colo.
In short, Farah may not like it here in Phoenix, but there are an abundance of reasons to love living here.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck