Troy Farah hates Phoenix. He said so in a recent Vice.com blog post titled, fittingly, REASONS WHY PHOENIX IS THE WORST PLACE EVER.
In this blog post, he wrote Phoenix ‘shouldn’t even exist’ as a city. He thinks this way because it’s too beige here, because our shopping malls have become landmarks and because of, among other things, Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
Here are five reasons Farah is wrong.
Lots and lots of sunshine.
I’ve seen estimates that the Valley gets 330 days of sunshine. Sure, Farah may be right, there are shades of beige everywhere and the weather is brutally hot here in the summer, but the Valley gets so much sun that it is boring. Valley residents even love the rain because it happens so infrequently. Tell me another place that happens?
Science has also shown that sunlight can improve moods and even improve your health, providing ’90 to 95 percent of our vitamin D.’ So, Phoenicians may have to go outside wearing sunblock SPF 1000 sunblock, but I’d rather live with 330 days of sunshine than 100 days of rain and clouds.
2) Less traffic
It takes over an hour for 30 percent of commuters in New York City to get to work. The average commute there takes 40 minutes. In Washington D.C., it takes 26 percent of workers an hour to drive to work and then another hour to get home at night. Phoenix didn’t even make the top 20 list when it comes to longest commute cities.
Here, the average commute is about 25 minutes. Phoenix is tied with the national average. This is one of the best things about Phoenix, not sitting in traffic as we cruise by our landmark malls.
3) Lower cost of living
Compared to other big cities around the United States, the cost of living here is again, right about the national average. Money goes a little further here than it does in San Francisco.
For example, rent is 221 percent higher in San Francisco than in Phoenix. Groceries are over 40 percent more expensive there. And here’s the real selling point: Someone making $50,000 in Phoenix would have to earn $82,165 in San Francisco to enjoy the same cost of living.
Even Sheriff Joe Arpaio can’t change that.
The Phoenix area has plenty of outdoor activities. Now, it’s not advisable to hike Camelback Mountain when it’s 112 degrees outside. However, that’s still better than not being able use the outdoors because it’s too cold and snowy.
The Valley easily has nine months of great weather and great outdoor activities.
There are over 250 golf courses in the Phoenix area. And yes, it’s still possible to golf in July in the heat. Plus, it’s cheaper then. So, Phoenicians can literally golf year round. People in Massachusetts cannot.
5) Craft breweries
Phoenix has been named as one of Draft Magazine’s ‘Beertowns.’ There are award-winning breweries all over the Valley.
So when it’s blazing hot, it’s easy to relax with a nice, refreshing craft brew. Places like Four Peaks, San Tan, Phoenix Ale and the recently-named best new brewery in the world, Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company, are making this a great beer town, competing with the likes of Boulder, Colo.
In short, Farah may not like it here in Phoenix, but there are an abundance of reasons to love living here.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them