NBA Commissioner Adam Silver rightfully dropped the hammer Tuesday on Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling.
First, Silver banned Sterling for life from basketball activities after the owner admitted that it was his voice questioning his girlfriend’s “association with black people.” Effective immediately, Sterling will not be allowed to attend a game or practice ever again, nor will he be allowed to have anything to do with his team.
Second, Silver also fined Sterling $2.5 million. That’s the maximum amount allowed under NBA rules.
Third, Silver said he and the NBA Board of Governors will force a sale of the Los Angeles Clippers. This is the nail in the coffin. It’s unprecedented. It shows Silver’s interests lie with the league. There’s no wiggle room. No reason for anyone to complain. Not the players, not the other owners. The NBA standard of ownership has been set.
Sterling’s comments “affected everyone” in the NBA Silver said during his press conference. Because of this, both Silver’s and the league’s credibility were at stake. He not only saved their credibility, he elevated it. Racism clearly will not be tolerated in the NBA. Not anymore anyways.
The league’s response was fast. It was efficient and it left nothing unanswered. That’s how press conference should be done. Well done, Adam Silver. Well done.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development