NBA Commissioner Adam Silver rightfully dropped the hammer Tuesday on Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling.
First, Silver banned Sterling for life from basketball activities after the owner admitted that it was his voice questioning his girlfriend’s “association with black people.” Effective immediately, Sterling will not be allowed to attend a game or practice ever again, nor will he be allowed to have anything to do with his team.
Second, Silver also fined Sterling $2.5 million. That’s the maximum amount allowed under NBA rules.
Third, Silver said he and the NBA Board of Governors will force a sale of the Los Angeles Clippers. This is the nail in the coffin. It’s unprecedented. It shows Silver’s interests lie with the league. There’s no wiggle room. No reason for anyone to complain. Not the players, not the other owners. The NBA standard of ownership has been set.
Sterling’s comments “affected everyone” in the NBA Silver said during his press conference. Because of this, both Silver’s and the league’s credibility were at stake. He not only saved their credibility, he elevated it. Racism clearly will not be tolerated in the NBA. Not anymore anyways.
The league’s response was fast. It was efficient and it left nothing unanswered. That’s how press conference should be done. Well done, Adam Silver. Well done.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns