It’s been 12 years.
And this year it almost seems like America have moved on.
So is that what it takes? 4,383 days? Is that our limit?
It’s only been 626 weeks since the worst terrorist attack on American soil. About 105,100 hours since nearly 3,000 Americans lost their lives at the hands of al-Qaeda.
This year I feel like the anniversary snuck up on us. That’s probably because it doesn’t have a “milestone” number. We paused to reflect on the 10th anniversary of Sept. 11 in 2011. I guess we’ll do it again when we reach 2016 after it has been 15 years.
This year the mood is different. Perhaps it’s just because of the passage of time. Or perhaps it is because we spent so much time, so many years, mourning. Or maybe life has just moved on.
Those images are still fresh in my head though. They’re burned into my brain. I couldn’t get rid of them even if I tried. Those images are where my mind goes every time I hear “Sept. 11” mentioned.
Maybe I’m the strange one, the one who still thinks about Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001, every Sept. 11. I still get uncomfortable when I hear a TV commercial talking about a Sept. 11 premiere date. I was uncomfortable when the NFL season started on 9/11 a couple of years ago.
It is a day to remember. It’s a day to think about what has changed in the past 12 years. American soldiers have engaged in two wars since then. Over two million have been deployed, 6,668 American soldiers have been killed. Thousands more have been injured. We’ve got the Patriot Act and the NSA spying on American citizens. The entire world has changed in the past 12 years.
And it seems like this year we’re glossing right over that.
Sept. 11 is not a day to celebrate. It’s certainly not a day to offer discount golf as one Wisconsin course did. It’s a day to reflect. It’s certainly not a day to forget.
But maybe that’s just me.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.