Yes, the system is unfair.
The United States imprisons more people than any other nation in the world; including the restrictive nations of China and Russia. More than two million people are currently in prison across the country. Another five million are under state supervision.
Blacks are imprisoned at much higher rates than whites and Latinos. Some numbers say as many as 1 in 15 black men are currently in prison. One in 36 Latino men share the same fate while only 1 in 106 white men are incarcerated. There are some encouraging signs things are moving in the opposite direction, but the system is still skewed.
Another study says black men are more likely to go to prison for low level offenses than whites. Much of that is due to America’s war on drugs. Blacks are also much more likely to receive longer prison sentences than whites even when facing similar charges.
The proof is there.
Even in America’s schools, black students across the country are suspended at the highest rates.
But, in the case of State of Florida versus George Zimmerman the justice system worked.
Here’s the bottom line. The state of Florida did not — and perhaps could not — prove Zimmerman was not acting in self-defense.
No matter how upset people are over the result, the reasonable doubt principle remains the same. State of Florida prosecutors could not meet that burden.
No one saw the beginning of the fight between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin. Witnesses who watched after hearing the commotion offered different accounts about what happened. One witness testified that he saw what appeared to be Trayvon Martin on top of George Zimmerman.
A defense witness backed up this claim saying the evidence showed that was the position the 17-year-old was in when he was shot and killed. A tragic end to Trayvon Martin’s story.
But, the jury had no other choice. The state of Florida did not prove their case. And the bigger travesty would have been to convict George Zimmerman based on emotions. The justice system is never supposed to work that way.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier