Brad Paisley and LL Cool J are causing a bit of controversy with their new collaboration called “Accidental Racist.”
In the song, Paisley says wearing a Confederate flag t-shirt doesn’t make him a racist. Instead it just makes him a “Skynyrd fan” that is proud of his southern heritage.
LL’s verse says, “Dear Mr. White Man, I wish you understood. What the world is really like when you’re livin’ in the hood. Just because my pants are saggin’ doesn’t mean I’m up to no good.”
The song is supposed to be about misconceptions but the song is also a reminder that “racist” has become one of the most overused words in the English language.
Merriam-Webster defines racism as “a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.”
Of course, there are racists all across America and we should save the word and the label for the true racists. Overusing the term makes it moot and ineffective and, ultimately, the term’s overuse makes it harder to spot the real racists because everyone is not a racist, just like every man can’t be a sexist.
Last week, President Barack Obama was called that by many of his own supporters on social media when he said California Attorney General Kamala Harris is the “by far the best looking attorney general in the country.”
The comment was inappropriate and the president, no doubt, wishes he had never said it, but one comment doesn’t mean President Obama is a sexist, nor does it mean he requires gender sensitivity training either.
I have noticed this pattern regarding social media. It’s a collective rush to push out opinions on every topic that becomes “trending.” The collective rush leads to an overhyped debate. The overhyped debate has caused important, powerful words to be rendered useless due to overuse. Overuse, then, ushers in shorter attention spans so we will stop paying attention when someone truly deserves the label of racist or sexist.
And then we all end up sounding like Brad Paisley.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food