Am I starting to get old?
Seriously, I think I am. Why do I ask this? Because I’m finding more and more joy unplugging from technology and taking vacations away from big cities.
Last week, I was in Park City, Utah, skiing and hiking (technically, snowshoeing). I loved it. I loved it because most of my vacation was spent outdoors and I didn’t feel connected every second of the day.
It really dawned on me as my wife and I were snowshoeing. It was just us and our guide walking on a small path through the snow-covered woods. We were away from our house, away from normal everyday life and away from technology.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I still had my cell phone in my pocket. My 3G service was working. There was Wi-Fi available everywhere. I barely used it. My phone was serving as my camera to capture these moments.
Unplugging is new for me. I’ve always liked vacationing in cities like Chicago, Seattle, Boston and New York. I’ve always felt the need to stay connected while I was away. Now, I find more value in hiking through the woods with my wife than I do hustling down Fifth Avenue amongst the crowd.
Maybe it’s just turning over a new leaf. Maybe my priorities have changed. Or maybe this has become my way to break away from the suffocating hold technology has on me. I don’t need a break every day, but once or twice a year is the perfect amount of time to sit back, relax and pretend there are no problems in the world.
If that’s what is called “getting old,” I’m going enjoy it every chance I get.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food