Am I starting to get old?
Seriously, I think I am. Why do I ask this? Because I’m finding more and more joy unplugging from technology and taking vacations away from big cities.
Last week, I was in Park City, Utah, skiing and hiking (technically, snowshoeing). I loved it. I loved it because most of my vacation was spent outdoors and I didn’t feel connected every second of the day.
It really dawned on me as my wife and I were snowshoeing. It was just us and our guide walking on a small path through the snow-covered woods. We were away from our house, away from normal everyday life and away from technology.
Now, don’t get me wrong. I still had my cell phone in my pocket. My 3G service was working. There was Wi-Fi available everywhere. I barely used it. My phone was serving as my camera to capture these moments.
Unplugging is new for me. I’ve always liked vacationing in cities like Chicago, Seattle, Boston and New York. I’ve always felt the need to stay connected while I was away. Now, I find more value in hiking through the woods with my wife than I do hustling down Fifth Avenue amongst the crowd.
Maybe it’s just turning over a new leaf. Maybe my priorities have changed. Or maybe this has become my way to break away from the suffocating hold technology has on me. I don’t need a break every day, but once or twice a year is the perfect amount of time to sit back, relax and pretend there are no problems in the world.
If that’s what is called “getting old,” I’m going enjoy it every chance I get.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl