This is a moral dilemma.
Back on Dec. 7, David Barajas and his two sons were pushing his disabled pickup truck toward their house outside of Houston. Barajas’ two youngest children were in the cab with their mother.
They were 50 yards from home when a suspected drunk driver plowed into the back of the truck.
Barajas’ 12-year-old son, David, Jr., was killed immediately. Caleb, 11, later died at the hospital.
According to police and witnesses, in the moments after the crash, Barajas walked into his home and came out with a gun. He then walked over to Jose Banda’s car and shot him in the head, killing him.
This week Barajas has been charged with murder in Brazoria County.
But isn’t there a primal instinct that says he was justified? Perhaps, but we do have to allow the judicial process to play out. Barajas took another man’s life. Maybe he’ll be found guilty, maybe he won’t be. If he is, he could face the death penalty in Texas. Therein lies the moral dilemma.
Think about it. He lost his two sons. His reaction was to take the life of the person responsbile. I’m not sure if Barajas knew Banda was drunk. I doubt that mattered to him — his sons mattered to him. At the same time Banda’s mother lost her son too.
The dead man’s aunt told a Texas TV station, “It was an accident. He didn’t purposely do that. Whoever did it is getting away with murdering my nephew. He deserves justice.”
Honestly, I’m not sure what I would do in this situation but I’m leaning towards a guilty verdict with a pretty light sentence.
If you were on that jury, what would you do? There doesn’t seem to be a clear right or a clear wrong answer in this case.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.