A Kansas City school is going to start collecting hair samples from all students next year. From CBS St. Louis:
“Rockhurst High School will start the random drug testing during the 2013-14 school year. The school will collect 60 strands of hair from the student and test for several types of drugs, including marijuana and cocaine,” the station reported.
This is completely outrageous. Schools are not an arm of law enforcement, nor should they be. Unfortunately, the law encroaches on schools all the time.
This example is just the latest. What’s even more amazing is how the principal attempts to justify the drug-testing program.
“Our point is, if we do encounter a student who has made some bad decisions with drugs or alcohol, we will be able to intervene, get the parents involved, get him help if necessary, and then help him get back on a path of better decision making, healthier choices for his life,” Rockhurst principal Greg Harkness told the station.
See? It’s good intentions. But treating every student like a drug addict goes against the very American principles that are supposed to be taught in school.
If a student comes back with a positive drug test, that student will have 90 days to get drug-free. The station reports the file will be destroyed for any student who tests positive after graduation and colleges and universities will never know about the failed test.
How can they get away with it?
Private schools are allowed to test all students while public schools are restricted by the Fourth Amendment.
It may be legal, but private schools should respect student rights. Have you driven by a school lately? Have you seen the high fences and fancy security systems?
Schools oftentimes look like, as Bruce St. James said, “medium security prisons.” Maybe those fences are a reflection on modern-day America’s safety concerns. But maybe that also provides the justification to try to turn our schools into jails.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier