What do we really care about?
I’ll admit to growing weary of politicians and government procedure. But I still pay attention to what they say and what they do. I do it because I care. It’s exactly how and why I ended up working at KTAR.
I know many of you care. But I know plenty of you don’t. That’s frustrating.
I imagine the reasons vary. Politics is boring. It’s hard to follow. Politicians are just blowhards. I understand. But here’s what I have difficulty wrapping my head around: why Beyonce lip-syncing the national anthem has become a bigger story than President Obama’s second inaugural address.
The Beyonce story just won’t die. The news is acting as if this is some sort of scandal. It’s not. And it’s not important.
Neither is the first lady’s belt, yet it’s already sold out. So are Sasha and Malia’s coats. Perhaps this is the reason nothing changes in Washington. America seems too worried about lip-syncing instead of wondering why the Treasury Department has to borrow money to stay current on bills.
Of course, the politicians wouldn’t have it any other way. A less engaged electorate allows them to continue their back-room deals, continue spending more of your money and raising the debt.
They’ve done this for years without serious consequences. Instead, they are rewarded with re-election after re-election. Nothing will change until the rewards cease.
Until that day comes, I’ll guess I’ll just wait to see which fashion trend Michelle Obama starts next.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever