What do we really care about?
I’ll admit to growing weary of politicians and government procedure. But I still pay attention to what they say and what they do. I do it because I care. It’s exactly how and why I ended up working at KTAR.
I know many of you care. But I know plenty of you don’t. That’s frustrating.
I imagine the reasons vary. Politics is boring. It’s hard to follow. Politicians are just blowhards. I understand. But here’s what I have difficulty wrapping my head around: why Beyonce lip-syncing the national anthem has become a bigger story than President Obama’s second inaugural address.
The Beyonce story just won’t die. The news is acting as if this is some sort of scandal. It’s not. And it’s not important.
Neither is the first lady’s belt, yet it’s already sold out. So are Sasha and Malia’s coats. Perhaps this is the reason nothing changes in Washington. America seems too worried about lip-syncing instead of wondering why the Treasury Department has to borrow money to stay current on bills.
Of course, the politicians wouldn’t have it any other way. A less engaged electorate allows them to continue their back-room deals, continue spending more of your money and raising the debt.
They’ve done this for years without serious consequences. Instead, they are rewarded with re-election after re-election. Nothing will change until the rewards cease.
Until that day comes, I’ll guess I’ll just wait to see which fashion trend Michelle Obama starts next.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier