Maybe rifles look scary, but rifles aren’t responsible for the majority of murders in this country.
In 2005, there were 16,692 people murdered in the United States. The number of murders committed with a rifle that year: 445 (2.7 percent of all murders). The number of people killed with hammers and clubs in 2005: 605.
In 2006, the total number of murders jumped up to 17,030, 438 were killed with a rifle and 618 were killed with a hammer or club.
In 2011, 14,612 were murdered. This time, 323 with a rifle and 496 people were killed with a hammer or club. Sounds like Congress needs to work on hammer and club control.
One other interesting footnote: almost twice as many people are killed by hands or fists every year when compared to rifles.
Most gun control debates centers around these “assault rifles.” Clearly, banning them would not have a significant impact on murder rates.
But, then again, that’s not really the point of gun control debates is it?
Numbers courtesy of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes