Maybe rifles look scary, but rifles aren’t responsible for the majority of murders in this country.
In 2005, there were 16,692 people murdered in the United States. The number of murders committed with a rifle that year: 445 (2.7 percent of all murders). The number of people killed with hammers and clubs in 2005: 605.
In 2006, the total number of murders jumped up to 17,030, 438 were killed with a rifle and 618 were killed with a hammer or club.
In 2011, 14,612 were murdered. This time, 323 with a rifle and 496 people were killed with a hammer or club. Sounds like Congress needs to work on hammer and club control.
One other interesting footnote: almost twice as many people are killed by hands or fists every year when compared to rifles.
Most gun control debates centers around these “assault rifles.” Clearly, banning them would not have a significant impact on murder rates.
But, then again, that’s not really the point of gun control debates is it?
Numbers courtesy of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food