The President unveiled a new immigration policy
conveniently a few months
before an election.
In looking at the details there’s some good
and some bad.
Here’s the good:
It temporarily and partially answers a
major immigration question — what to do with the children
that were brought here when they were young.
administration’s plan will immediately stop deporting
illegal immigrants that fall into that category, provided
they entered this country prior to their 16th birthday.
have to be under the age of 30, have no criminal record
and have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
The plan allows two-year work permits and immigrants can
apply for one as many times as they wish.
Now, the bad:
It’s blatant pandering for the
vote during election season.
Policies in this country shouldn’t be shaped based on
election strategy. The Obama administration’s plan also
doesn’t answer any citizen questions.
But my main concern here is furthering the piecemeal
approach this country takes to immigration reform. Instead
of reform, we are getting a collection of laws that don’t
work together. That’s not fair to any of us.
I’ve already heard several congressmen complain about the
policy saying the President is going around
Here’s the reality.
Congress doesn’t want to touch the contentious immigration
issue. It hasn’t since the failed immigration reform plan
of 2007, so don’t complain now.
all of this, I do hope that it leads us into a realistic
discussion about illegal immigration.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.