The President unveiled a new immigration policy
conveniently a few months
before an election.
In looking at the details there’s some good
and some bad.
Here’s the good:
It temporarily and partially answers a
major immigration question — what to do with the children
that were brought here when they were young.
administration’s plan will immediately stop deporting
illegal immigrants that fall into that category, provided
they entered this country prior to their 16th birthday.
have to be under the age of 30, have no criminal record
and have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
The plan allows two-year work permits and immigrants can
apply for one as many times as they wish.
Now, the bad:
It’s blatant pandering for the
vote during election season.
Policies in this country shouldn’t be shaped based on
election strategy. The Obama administration’s plan also
doesn’t answer any citizen questions.
But my main concern here is furthering the piecemeal
approach this country takes to immigration reform. Instead
of reform, we are getting a collection of laws that don’t
work together. That’s not fair to any of us.
I’ve already heard several congressmen complain about the
policy saying the President is going around
Here’s the reality.
Congress doesn’t want to touch the contentious immigration
issue. It hasn’t since the failed immigration reform plan
of 2007, so don’t complain now.
all of this, I do hope that it leads us into a realistic
discussion about illegal immigration.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development