The President unveiled a new immigration policy
conveniently a few months
before an election.
In looking at the details there’s some good
and some bad.
Here’s the good:
It temporarily and partially answers a
major immigration question — what to do with the children
that were brought here when they were young.
administration’s plan will immediately stop deporting
illegal immigrants that fall into that category, provided
they entered this country prior to their 16th birthday.
have to be under the age of 30, have no criminal record
and have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
The plan allows two-year work permits and immigrants can
apply for one as many times as they wish.
Now, the bad:
It’s blatant pandering for the
vote during election season.
Policies in this country shouldn’t be shaped based on
election strategy. The Obama administration’s plan also
doesn’t answer any citizen questions.
But my main concern here is furthering the piecemeal
approach this country takes to immigration reform. Instead
of reform, we are getting a collection of laws that don’t
work together. That’s not fair to any of us.
I’ve already heard several congressmen complain about the
policy saying the President is going around
Here’s the reality.
Congress doesn’t want to touch the contentious immigration
issue. It hasn’t since the failed immigration reform plan
of 2007, so don’t complain now.
all of this, I do hope that it leads us into a realistic
discussion about illegal immigration.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match