On my way home Thursday the dashboard of the car read “117.”
As in degrees. Never mind I was on my way to a baseball game, where first pitch was at 5:30 p.m., and NO, it wasn’t outside.
Two nights ago, our baseball games were cancelled because of lightning (a great idea, by the way) but Thursday night, 117 degrees wasn’t enough. The parents were hot, for sure, but the kids didn’t even seem to mind.
While I was visiting relatives in the Midwest earlier this week, a couple people asked how we could possibly play in heat like that.
I said I would rather play in the heat we have than the heat THEY have. It was about 90 degrees and humid at the time. Think about it.
This summer thing we have? It’s our kids’ badge of honor.
When they’re older and live somewhere cooler than Phoenix they will tell their kids how hot it was when they played, how long their games were. … it will sound just like US when we say we walked to school uphill both ways in the snow.
Look, I think as we get older, we don’t handle this heat as well. I don’t like watching games in 115 degrees. Who does?
But when it’s the state finals, you just grit your teeth and sit down on that hot bleacher seat. (Bring a wet towel!)
And thank goodness we aren’t on a road crew or landscape team somewhere. That would be rough.
No, you have to admit, sports in the Valley is usually pretty cushy (as is most of life here.
These hot games are a part of growing up in the Valley, like snow on the soccer field is part of life in the Midwest. You drink more water. You find shade anywhere you can. (Ever stand in the shadow of a fencepole or queen palm tree? You have if you live in the Valley.) You carry sunscreen in your purse.
Hey, it’s better than snow boots.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths