On my way home Thursday the dashboard of the car read “117.”
As in degrees. Never mind I was on my way to a baseball game, where first pitch was at 5:30 p.m., and NO, it wasn’t outside.
Two nights ago, our baseball games were cancelled because of lightning (a great idea, by the way) but Thursday night, 117 degrees wasn’t enough. The parents were hot, for sure, but the kids didn’t even seem to mind.
While I was visiting relatives in the Midwest earlier this week, a couple people asked how we could possibly play in heat like that.
I said I would rather play in the heat we have than the heat THEY have. It was about 90 degrees and humid at the time. Think about it.
This summer thing we have? It’s our kids’ badge of honor.
When they’re older and live somewhere cooler than Phoenix they will tell their kids how hot it was when they played, how long their games were. … it will sound just like US when we say we walked to school uphill both ways in the snow.
Look, I think as we get older, we don’t handle this heat as well. I don’t like watching games in 115 degrees. Who does?
But when it’s the state finals, you just grit your teeth and sit down on that hot bleacher seat. (Bring a wet towel!)
And thank goodness we aren’t on a road crew or landscape team somewhere. That would be rough.
No, you have to admit, sports in the Valley is usually pretty cushy (as is most of life here.
These hot games are a part of growing up in the Valley, like snow on the soccer field is part of life in the Midwest. You drink more water. You find shade anywhere you can. (Ever stand in the shadow of a fencepole or queen palm tree? You have if you live in the Valley.) You carry sunscreen in your purse.
Hey, it’s better than snow boots.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development