Not long ago, the American Psychiatric Association classified taking selfies as a mental disorder. They even came up with a name, “Selfitis.”
Sounds about right.
As it turns out though, taking selfies could be dangerous, at least when you do it at the Tour de France.
The famed 21-day bicycle race is underway, and during some of the early stages, riders have had to dodge spectators who were standing in the road with their backs to the race.
They were trying to take Tour selfies!
Can you imagine, jumping in the way of hundreds of cyclists barreling down a two-lane road in Yorkshire, just to try to get that perfect close-up of yourself?
I can’t. I’ve taken a few selfies, I admit it, but they were of myself and my son, when there was no one else around to take a picture. I’m certainly not jumping in the middle of the road to get one.
— Woking Cycling Club (@WokingCC) July 7, 2014
Psychologists are reporting growing numbers of selfie-taking patients who suffer from narcissism, body dysmorphia, and dramatically low self-esteem.
Soon, they could be suffering some broken bones as well. And they won’t be the only ones!
Seriously, it’s easy enough for those riders to fall without the selfie takers in the road. Several riders have swiped at the spectators as they passed, and American rider Teejay van Garderen called the craze “a dangerous mix of vanity and stupidity.”
I’m just calling it crazy.
Hey, selfie taker, you’re NOT IN the Tour de France.
Turn the cellphone around and get out of the road!
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas