I was driving to my son’s baseball game Saturday night.
The thermometer in the car read it was 108 degrees outside.
I pulled into the Safeway parking lot to buy a third bag of ice (it melts before you can put it in the cooler) and I saw a crew setting up a tent where they will sell fireworks starting Monday.
I have to admit, I kind of wanted to kick the poles down.
I know, the Fourth of July is next Friday.There is nothing like a great fireworks display on the Fourth.
But can’t we leave it to the professionals? Please?
It hasn’t rained here in more than 100 days.
We’ve already seen forest fires this season the size of which we don’t usually see til July or August.
(I know, we don’t live in the forest but that grass around your house is dry. Really dry. And if you live near one of the mountain preserves, you’re probably nervous enough WITHOUT sparklers and bottle rockets.)
A new Arizona law regulates the sale and use of fireworks, and most are banned. Legal fireworks must be of the “safe and sane” variety. They can’t be projectiles and they can’t go up in the air. And just because you can buy them, doesn’t mean they are legal.
Needless to say, on the Fourth of July, they’ll be going off in your neighborhood anyway. Better have your hose ready.
As silly as that sounds, it’s the advice from the Phoenix Fire Department. Have a bucket or hose ready, if you feel you MUST light a fuse on something a legal firework.
Also, if it’s wrapped in brown paper, it’s probably illegal.
If you must light something, make sure that the ashes are completely out before throwing them in a Dumpster, even if you have to soak them.
And never relight a device that doesn’t go off, or try to explode something inside a glass container.
Here’s what else Phoenix Fire said: When it comes right down to it, they’d prefer you don’t buy them or use them at all. Leave it to the pros. That way, no one gets hurt and no one’s house burns down. And no firefighters will put their lives in danger to save your house.
What’s more patriotic than that??
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them