I was driving to my son’s baseball game Saturday night.
The thermometer in the car read it was 108 degrees outside.
I pulled into the Safeway parking lot to buy a third bag of ice (it melts before you can put it in the cooler) and I saw a crew setting up a tent where they will sell fireworks starting Monday.
I have to admit, I kind of wanted to kick the poles down.
I know, the Fourth of July is next Friday.There is nothing like a great fireworks display on the Fourth.
But can’t we leave it to the professionals? Please?
It hasn’t rained here in more than 100 days.
We’ve already seen forest fires this season the size of which we don’t usually see til July or August.
(I know, we don’t live in the forest but that grass around your house is dry. Really dry. And if you live near one of the mountain preserves, you’re probably nervous enough WITHOUT sparklers and bottle rockets.)
A new Arizona law regulates the sale and use of fireworks, and most are banned. Legal fireworks must be of the “safe and sane” variety. They can’t be projectiles and they can’t go up in the air. And just because you can buy them, doesn’t mean they are legal.
Needless to say, on the Fourth of July, they’ll be going off in your neighborhood anyway. Better have your hose ready.
As silly as that sounds, it’s the advice from the Phoenix Fire Department. Have a bucket or hose ready, if you feel you MUST light a fuse on something a legal firework.
Also, if it’s wrapped in brown paper, it’s probably illegal.
If you must light something, make sure that the ashes are completely out before throwing them in a Dumpster, even if you have to soak them.
And never relight a device that doesn’t go off, or try to explode something inside a glass container.
Here’s what else Phoenix Fire said: When it comes right down to it, they’d prefer you don’t buy them or use them at all. Leave it to the pros. That way, no one gets hurt and no one’s house burns down. And no firefighters will put their lives in danger to save your house.
What’s more patriotic than that??
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier