Are bookstores dead?
You might think so, with the closures of so many of the large chain stores in recent years in Phoenix. Barnes and Noble just announced that its store in the Ahwatukee village in southeast Phoenix is closing Aug. 2.
The Borders at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Mesa and the Biltmore closed a few years ago.
I used to love a lazy bookstore night. I would wander around, pick up books I thought I might like to read, drink coffee, peruse calendars. Those nights were the best.
I don’t have much time for that anymore, but if I did, where would I go? Wait … is that a NEW bookstore uptown?
It might as well be a unicorn, but it’s true. Changing Hands Bookstore has opened a spot at Third Avenue and Camelback Road in Phoenix.
Changing Hands is a bookstore (new and used ones) that has been in Tempe for what seems like forever. The new store will sell more than books — it will have beer and wine, too, at its First Draft bar.
Aha. Now we have it. Do you need to sell alcohol to get people to look at your books?
Maybe. And if so, fine. I think book stores are good for us, as individuals and as a community. If it takes a tap behind the cash register, so be it.
I can’t wait to check out the new Changing Hands.
Long live the bookstore.
And, of course, wine.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night