Are bookstores dead?
You might think so, with the closures of so many of the large chain stores in recent years in Phoenix. Barnes and Noble just announced that its store in the Ahwatukee village in southeast Phoenix is closing Aug. 2.
The Borders at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Mesa and the Biltmore closed a few years ago.
I used to love a lazy bookstore night. I would wander around, pick up books I thought I might like to read, drink coffee, peruse calendars. Those nights were the best.
I don’t have much time for that anymore, but if I did, where would I go? Wait … is that a NEW bookstore uptown?
It might as well be a unicorn, but it’s true. Changing Hands Bookstore has opened a spot at Third Avenue and Camelback Road in Phoenix.
Changing Hands is a bookstore (new and used ones) that has been in Tempe for what seems like forever. The new store will sell more than books — it will have beer and wine, too, at its First Draft bar.
Aha. Now we have it. Do you need to sell alcohol to get people to look at your books?
Maybe. And if so, fine. I think book stores are good for us, as individuals and as a community. If it takes a tap behind the cash register, so be it.
I can’t wait to check out the new Changing Hands.
Long live the bookstore.
And, of course, wine.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life