Are bookstores dead?
You might think so, with the closures of so many of the large chain stores in recent years in Phoenix. Barnes and Noble just announced that its store in the Ahwatukee village in southeast Phoenix is closing Aug. 2.
The Borders at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Mesa and the Biltmore closed a few years ago.
I used to love a lazy bookstore night. I would wander around, pick up books I thought I might like to read, drink coffee, peruse calendars. Those nights were the best.
I don’t have much time for that anymore, but if I did, where would I go? Wait … is that a NEW bookstore uptown?
It might as well be a unicorn, but it’s true. Changing Hands Bookstore has opened a spot at Third Avenue and Camelback Road in Phoenix.
Changing Hands is a bookstore (new and used ones) that has been in Tempe for what seems like forever. The new store will sell more than books — it will have beer and wine, too, at its First Draft bar.
Aha. Now we have it. Do you need to sell alcohol to get people to look at your books?
Maybe. And if so, fine. I think book stores are good for us, as individuals and as a community. If it takes a tap behind the cash register, so be it.
I can’t wait to check out the new Changing Hands.
Long live the bookstore.
And, of course, wine.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food