What if the decriminalization of marijuana not only led to more marijuana use, but more heroin use?
Not possible? fore you say that, give this a thought:
it’s a common belief that marijuana is a gateway drug (“lighter” drugs that, when used, lead to the use of harder drugs.) So, if you see the headline that more marijuana use and legalized weed in Colorado and other states has led to more heroin use, you might think the gateway nature of pot is the cause.
Truth is, that’s not so. This is a business equation.
The wholesale price of marijuana has fallen because it’s now legal to sell and use in many parts of the U.S.
Pot growers in Mexico, frustrated with the fall in profits, have turned to growing more opium poppies, with which they make cheap heroin.
Add to that U.S. authorities, with the best intentions, have tried hard to stem the tide of synthetic opiates such as hydrocodone and OxyContin. In response, the real stuff is being cultivated.
One grower in Sinaloa, Mexico is quoted in the Washington Post, “It’s not worth is anymore. I wish the Americans would stop with this legalization.”
So much for the theory that legalizing a drug makes the problem go away. Maybe it just shifts the problem from one drug to another.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food