Two stories from Monday may not seem to go together, but in reality, they do.
The first is a story about Dutch teenager who tweeted an al-Qaida terrorist threat to American Airlines as a joke, and was arrested. The tweet included a specific date, June 1. The airline said it takes twitter threats, and ALL threats, seriously.
In other news, US Airways found itself embarrassed when a tweet went out to a customer in response to a complaint. The link inside the tweet had a pretty explicit image of a woman using a toy plane. Wow.
Of course, the airline apologized and took down the offensive photo, but, as with all tweets, wishing it didn’t happen and removing it from the feed doesn’t actually work.
Also, in the Twitterverse, any attention-getting tweet picks up more followers. So the Dutch teenager, twitter handle @QueenDemetriax, picked up 30,000 followers after she tweeted that threat.
One was American Airlines itself, which answered, “Sarah, we take these threats seriously. Your IP address and details will be forwarded to security and the FBI.”
Sarah, the teen terrorist, even took the time to answer, before her arrest, that “I always wanted to be famous … but not Osama Bin Laden famous.”
Her account has been deleted. Oops.
US Airways has 420,000 followers. Is that more than Monday? I am betting so. Maybe some followers are hoping for some free porn, but still, followers are followers.
Tweets get too much attention outside the Twitterverse.
Silly or hateful tweets get either more love or more vitriol than they deserve.
Morning news shows devote entire segments to reading twitter posts, in an effort to better engage with the viewers. But it gives too much attention to posters who are only seeking, in the end, attention. Good and bad.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets