Maybe you missed the story of Shanesha Taylor.
Taylor is a single mom of two who said she couldn’t find a sitter for her kids but she had a job interview a few weeks back. She had been out of work for a while and so she took her kids with her, a 2-year-old and a 6-month-old, and left them in the car outside the building when she went into interview.
A witness saw one of the children crying, and alerted police. Taylor was arrested and has pleaded not guilty to two counts of child abuse.
The mug shot of her taken when she was booked moved a lot of people and many have donated money to her cause. So far, more than $95,000 has been raised for this mom, and her bond was paid for by a local church.
Her money problems are gone for the time being, but her legal woes, maybe not.
Which brings up an interesting point:What moves you to give money to a cause?
Taylor’s predicament is all too common, and certainly sad, but probably not too relatable. Yet donations are pouring in.
But Taylor is just one single mom in a tough spot. Arizona has thousands just like her. They could all use a little help.
Tuesday at midnight, something called Arizona Gives will begin. It’s a 24-hour push to donate to charities online. Not that you SHOULDN’T give to Taylor, but if you are in a giving mood, check it out.
Maybe you are moved by a soldier with a brain injury. Maybe you can’t stand the thought of a child going hungry. Or maybe you want to help abandoned animals find a new home.
Whatever it is, you can help, starting Tuesday.
Go to azgives.org and check out the nearly 1,000 agencies there. Click on the green button that says “Schedule My Donation” and a whole list of opportunities will pop up.
Help a blind child get cane training. Feed that shelter dog. Make sure that mom who lost her baby has someone to talk to.
You can search by keyword or zip code, whatever. Just do it.
You might find something to fall in love with.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food