Maybe you missed the story of Shanesha Taylor.
Taylor is a single mom of two who said she couldn’t find a sitter for her kids but she had a job interview a few weeks back. She had been out of work for a while and so she took her kids with her, a 2-year-old and a 6-month-old, and left them in the car outside the building when she went into interview.
A witness saw one of the children crying, and alerted police. Taylor was arrested and has pleaded not guilty to two counts of child abuse.
The mug shot of her taken when she was booked moved a lot of people and many have donated money to her cause. So far, more than $95,000 has been raised for this mom, and her bond was paid for by a local church.
Her money problems are gone for the time being, but her legal woes, maybe not.
Which brings up an interesting point:What moves you to give money to a cause?
Taylor’s predicament is all too common, and certainly sad, but probably not too relatable. Yet donations are pouring in.
But Taylor is just one single mom in a tough spot. Arizona has thousands just like her. They could all use a little help.
Tuesday at midnight, something called Arizona Gives will begin. It’s a 24-hour push to donate to charities online. Not that you SHOULDN’T give to Taylor, but if you are in a giving mood, check it out.
Maybe you are moved by a soldier with a brain injury. Maybe you can’t stand the thought of a child going hungry. Or maybe you want to help abandoned animals find a new home.
Whatever it is, you can help, starting Tuesday.
Go to azgives.org and check out the nearly 1,000 agencies there. Click on the green button that says “Schedule My Donation” and a whole list of opportunities will pop up.
Help a blind child get cane training. Feed that shelter dog. Make sure that mom who lost her baby has someone to talk to.
You can search by keyword or zip code, whatever. Just do it.
You might find something to fall in love with.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development