Whether you’re a high profile Hollywood couple or you’re not even well known enough to be recognized at your corner bar, if you get divorced, people will talk about you.
They will speculate about whose fault it was, who walked away looking better, and whether or not one or the other is dating already. It’s just the way it goes, and it’s sad.
But two high-profile entertainers announced their divorce Tuesday and they didn’t use the words divorce or separation.
They used a completely new word. Two words, actually.
I should mention that the couple is actress Gwyneth Paltrow and singer Chris Martin. They used the term on Paltrow’s website, goop.com.
Conscious uncoupling. It’s the idea that two people who are in a marriage have decided to separate amicably and there is no imbalance of power. None.
But there’s also no love. So they decide to “unmarry” and there is no blame to throw around.
Aside from that, there are two careers at stake. Two careers and two children.
So in doing this, they mutually agree that neither one will say a bad thing about another. Neither will assign blame and they respectfully ask for privacy while they split.
Whether they will get it or not is up for debate. But along with their statement, they issued a mini opinion paper from two mental health experts, asserting that perhaps the reason more of us are getting divorced is simply that we are living longer.
The doctors say that when more years are added to a human’s lifespan, we tend to develop into not one lifelong relationship, but several.
They argue that human beings haven’t been able to fully adapt to our skyrocketing life expectancy, and that our biology and psychology isn’t set up to be with one person for four, five, or six decades.
How about that?
Not only did this famous couple come up with a new term for divorce that sounds NOTHING like divorce, they presented a professionally written position paper to support their split.
Are you buying it?
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy