I think some congratulations are in order for the Massachusetts State Legislature.
State legislatures are charged with crafting laws to better the lives of the citizens of their states, but so often they seem to spend so much time doing everything but that.
Here in Arizona, we have suffered at the hands of our Legislature this year, with bills to kill Common Core in schools and give hatred for gays the go-ahead in the name of religious liberty. And those were just bills that made it to a vote.
If you could SEE some of the bills that DIDN’T get a hearing. It’s like a special-interest Renaissance Festival in January down at 19th Avenue and Washington.
But Thursday, in Massachusetts, lawmakers got down to business and fixed a problem with an existing law.
Back in 2010, police in Boston arrested Michael Robertson. He was caught in the practice of “upskirting”. It’s just what it sounds like. He was taking cell phone pictures up the skirts of female train riders.
A judge (female, it should be noted) ruled what he was doing was not technically illegal because current law didn’t define a person who was wearing clothing as being possibly nude, even if a picture taken was done so from UNDER her clothes.
Sounds stupid, right? That’s because it is.
So, in two days, the Massachusetts Legislature drafted a new law. They heard the bill. And passed it. And the governor signed it.
Why is it news when state lawmakers do the right thing? Because it’s unusual.
And that’s too bad.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development