I think some congratulations are in order for the Massachusetts State Legislature.
State legislatures are charged with crafting laws to better the lives of the citizens of their states, but so often they seem to spend so much time doing everything but that.
Here in Arizona, we have suffered at the hands of our Legislature this year, with bills to kill Common Core in schools and give hatred for gays the go-ahead in the name of religious liberty. And those were just bills that made it to a vote.
If you could SEE some of the bills that DIDN’T get a hearing. It’s like a special-interest Renaissance Festival in January down at 19th Avenue and Washington.
But Thursday, in Massachusetts, lawmakers got down to business and fixed a problem with an existing law.
Back in 2010, police in Boston arrested Michael Robertson. He was caught in the practice of “upskirting”. It’s just what it sounds like. He was taking cell phone pictures up the skirts of female train riders.
A judge (female, it should be noted) ruled what he was doing was not technically illegal because current law didn’t define a person who was wearing clothing as being possibly nude, even if a picture taken was done so from UNDER her clothes.
Sounds stupid, right? That’s because it is.
So, in two days, the Massachusetts Legislature drafted a new law. They heard the bill. And passed it. And the governor signed it.
Why is it news when state lawmakers do the right thing? Because it’s unusual.
And that’s too bad.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy