Guns in schools? Maybe it’s not the worst idea, but I’m not sure we need to arm our teachers.
It’s sort of like “Do we need a bill to bless business owners for kicking gay people out of their buildings?” The governor, thankfully, said no and vetoed SB 1062.
But nonetheless, the armed teachers bill has made it out of committee. It would allow an unlimited number of teachers and other staff to be armed after receiving 24 hours of training.
Supporters say the guns would protect children and staff in the event of a mass shooting. So we are responding to the highly unlikely, possible scenario of a Sandy Hook situation by allowing the teachers to pack heat?
OK. I’m all for safety. So let’s just say that’s a good idea. Know what else is a good idea?
Educating our kids. All of them.
Rich and poor, English-speaking kids and otherwise. Black, white, Hispanic. Kids with parents who care and kids whose parents couldn’t care less.
In its infinite wisdom, the Legislature is also in the process of removing Arizona’s Common Core standards. Those are the nearly-universally accepted college and career readiness standards that ensure that our high school graduates in Arizona have at least as much knowledge as their peers in other states.
It also STARTS to address the deficit our students face when comapred with students in other countries, who are, quite candidly, kicking the average American student’s butt.
In Arizona, we don’t want anyone telling us what to do or how to teach, so we are going to kick those standards out and go with the OLD method. The one that has been failing miserably. The numbers of these bills are SB 1310, 1396, 1395 and 1388.
Overkill? Of course it is.
Let’s get these bills stopped and finally do something FOR education, instead of against it.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development