Guns in schools? Maybe it’s not the worst idea, but I’m not sure we need to arm our teachers.
It’s sort of like “Do we need a bill to bless business owners for kicking gay people out of their buildings?” The governor, thankfully, said no and vetoed SB 1062.
But nonetheless, the armed teachers bill has made it out of committee. It would allow an unlimited number of teachers and other staff to be armed after receiving 24 hours of training.
Supporters say the guns would protect children and staff in the event of a mass shooting. So we are responding to the highly unlikely, possible scenario of a Sandy Hook situation by allowing the teachers to pack heat?
OK. I’m all for safety. So let’s just say that’s a good idea. Know what else is a good idea?
Educating our kids. All of them.
Rich and poor, English-speaking kids and otherwise. Black, white, Hispanic. Kids with parents who care and kids whose parents couldn’t care less.
In its infinite wisdom, the Legislature is also in the process of removing Arizona’s Common Core standards. Those are the nearly-universally accepted college and career readiness standards that ensure that our high school graduates in Arizona have at least as much knowledge as their peers in other states.
It also STARTS to address the deficit our students face when comapred with students in other countries, who are, quite candidly, kicking the average American student’s butt.
In Arizona, we don’t want anyone telling us what to do or how to teach, so we are going to kick those standards out and go with the OLD method. The one that has been failing miserably. The numbers of these bills are SB 1310, 1396, 1395 and 1388.
Overkill? Of course it is.
Let’s get these bills stopped and finally do something FOR education, instead of against it.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.