Is it OK to change your mind in politics?
I hope so. Three Arizona legislators have now changed their position on SB 1062, the so-called Right to Refuse Service bill.
Congratulations are in order for Sens. Adam Driggs, Steve Pierce and Bob Worsely. All three voted to pass the bill, which is now on its way to Gov. Jan Brewer’s desk. All three have now stated that if they had it to do over again, they would vote no.
It’s sad that they didn’t realize how wrong this bill was BEFORE it made it out of the Legislature, but isn’t it better that these three men were MEN enough to admit they made a mistake? Maybe it will help the Governor find the fortitude to veto the bill.
Is there really a possibility she won’t? After the weekend protests, and all the negative media attention, I find it hard to believe.
Virtually every viable candidate for governor has come out against the bill too, as have our two U.S. senators and a collection of Valley religious leaders, you know, the ones who are supposed to WANT a bill to protect religious freedoms.
This could be a game, by they way. Those three could be just trying to give the governor an easy out.
If the bill wouldn’t have made it out of the Senate without those votes, it gives Brewer a perfect reason to say no.
For his part, Pierce said no one from the business community opposed the bill until AFTER it passed. If so, we need to make sure we ASK the question about what the possible consequences of a bill are before we pass it.
I don’t know that we need to know how bad this bill would be for Arizona business to know that this is a bad bill.
Bad is bad.
And even if it takes you a couple of days to realize you voted for a bad bill, and even if the REAL reason you vote it down is because of Arizona’s business health or national reputation, speaking up against it now is far more noble than staying silent.
Do you need any more reasons to veto this bill, Brewer? Do the right thing. Even if it’s for the wrong reason.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy