In the Legislature Thursday, Arizona may as well have passed a bill changing our state’s name to something like “Crazytown.”
Somehow in Arizona, it’s become the thing to state how independent and different we are. And unfortunately, how stupid.
Thursday, the Legislature advanced a bill to allow schools to opt out of teaching to the Common Core Standards.
You know who likes Common Core standards? Educators, the chambers of commerce, Valley leaders, Expect More Arizona, Gov. Jan Brewer, the Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction, me…
You know who doesn’t? Our Legislature.
Apparently we elect people in Arizona because we want them to separate us from the federal government. We don’t care if the idea or proposal is the best idea anyone’s ever had, if it came from or is endorsed by Washington, it’s automatically out.
The Legislature is acting like a bunch of toddlers. We even went so far last year in Arizona as to RENAME the standards because we hate them so much.
Educators showed up at Thursday’s hearing in support of the Common Core standards in a 17-to-1 ratio versus those who want to scrap the standards, yet the Education Committee passed the bills anyway. Four of them.
Why? Because they’re OUR kids, and we won’t educate them because YOU, the federal government, wants us to.
Also Thursday, the Legislature passed the Right to Refuse Service bill. That’s the one that allows a business to discriminate against someone for just about any reason due to the business owners sincerely held religious beliefs.
The bill’s supporters say it is designed to protect religious rights. Problem is, it does so at the expense of other’s human rights.
It’s unnecessary and speaks only to those who want to hate and need a civil defense to back them up. It should reach Brewer’s desk by Monday.
I hope she has her veto pen ready. Same for the Common Core opt out, if it makes it to her desk.
In her last year as governor, Brewer could single-handedly keep Arizona out of the crazy column.
Would you, please?
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development