In the Legislature Thursday, Arizona may as well have passed a bill changing our state’s name to something like “Crazytown.”
Somehow in Arizona, it’s become the thing to state how independent and different we are. And unfortunately, how stupid.
Thursday, the Legislature advanced a bill to allow schools to opt out of teaching to the Common Core Standards.
You know who likes Common Core standards? Educators, the chambers of commerce, Valley leaders, Expect More Arizona, Gov. Jan Brewer, the Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction, me…
You know who doesn’t? Our Legislature.
Apparently we elect people in Arizona because we want them to separate us from the federal government. We don’t care if the idea or proposal is the best idea anyone’s ever had, if it came from or is endorsed by Washington, it’s automatically out.
The Legislature is acting like a bunch of toddlers. We even went so far last year in Arizona as to RENAME the standards because we hate them so much.
Educators showed up at Thursday’s hearing in support of the Common Core standards in a 17-to-1 ratio versus those who want to scrap the standards, yet the Education Committee passed the bills anyway. Four of them.
Why? Because they’re OUR kids, and we won’t educate them because YOU, the federal government, wants us to.
Also Thursday, the Legislature passed the Right to Refuse Service bill. That’s the one that allows a business to discriminate against someone for just about any reason due to the business owners sincerely held religious beliefs.
The bill’s supporters say it is designed to protect religious rights. Problem is, it does so at the expense of other’s human rights.
It’s unnecessary and speaks only to those who want to hate and need a civil defense to back them up. It should reach Brewer’s desk by Monday.
I hope she has her veto pen ready. Same for the Common Core opt out, if it makes it to her desk.
In her last year as governor, Brewer could single-handedly keep Arizona out of the crazy column.
Would you, please?
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets