It’s time to stop vilifying the Irish as the big drinkers of the world.
The game Neknominate may have started in and around the UK or Australia, but it’s swept social media, a world where exhibitionism knows no borders.
Back when “Jackass was just a reality TV show, you at least KNEW when your kids were watching it. Now, your son or daughter may be dared via social media to drink more than the idiot before them.
This is how it works: A “friend” of yours records him or herself doing something outrageous while drinking a dangerous amount of alcohol. They commit their act, and then dare you to out- do them within 24 hours. And shockingly, people do it.
Five have died, and the call is out for Facebook and other social-media sites to stop posting the game.
In Ireland, a country known for drinking, known for celebrating it as a part of its culture, calls are loudest.
Hey, if the Irish are calling the drinking game too dangerous, shouldn’t we pay attention?
It’s not Facebook’s job, or Instagram’s job to stop posting examples of stupid behavior. It’s your job to look away. And talk to your kids about it.
Don’t have kids? Then talk to your friends. Who knows? Someone YOU know might actually think that playing this game is a good idea.
It’s not a game if the loser dies.
And in the end, no one is in control of your actions but you.
Do you need to know anymore about this stupid game after you look at the picture that accompanies the news story: a guy doing a headstand in a toilet.
Boy, we just love a game of truth or dare. Nothing makes us feel better than besting someone else. Unless it kills you.
That’s the truth part of Truth or Dare.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night