The Olympics sure do make for some interesting viewing.
Monday night, I had to go to bed. It was past 10 and my husband and son could NOT turn off the women’s downhill slalom event.
Look, the hill is freakishly steep and the girls on the skis? They’re GORGEOUS. Seriously, since when did they start making women downhill skiers (and snowboarders, for that matter) look like movie stars?
Anyway, the games are great and its a lot better than the suppposed reality TV we usually watch.
And it gets good ratings. Well, it ought to.
If you tune in to NBC at all in the next two weeks, you might wonder if there is ANYTHING else going on on the globe. For NBC, the answer is a decided no.
Why? Because in 2011, NBC shelled out $4.38 BILLION to the International Olympic Committee in hopes of winning an exclusive broadcast license through 2020. To broadcast Sochi alone, NBC has paid $775 million.
While that’s a lot of money by any standard, you may not realize that’s 62 percent of the entire Winter Games braodcast revenue.
So, if it seems that NBC has adopted the athletes, that Matt Lauer is snuggling with a snowbarder, or that Jenna Bush Hager is spending too much time drinking vodka with the locals, you’re correct.
But they HAVE to. They’ve paid so much for it, NBC may be supporting one-fifth of the entire Winter Games.
I wonder why they didn’t make sure it got held in a better place and the hotels all got finished?
Lillehammer, Norway, anyone?
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food