“Phoenix dad kills son with ax”
“Tolleson dad kills children, then self”
“Phoenix officer, posse member shot, Phoenix neighborhood locked down”
Those aren’t the best headlines, are they?
A Phoenix dad killed his son with an ax during a 24-hour custodial visit.
A dad in Tolleson killed his 6- and 8- year-old daughters and then himself.
On New Year’s Eve in Phoenix a pair of men committed a robbery and while fleeing, shot a Phoenix officer and a sheriff’s posse member. A neighborhood was on lockdown for three hours on the last day of the year. The men were found in a backyard.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the date on the calendar is Jan. 2.
The holidays can be a tough time for anyone, certainly anyone suffering from depression or mental illness.
Certainly any parent who takes the life of their child can’t be in their right mind.
But I have to believe that the holidays are enough to set anyone off, under the right, or wrong, circumstances. There is no other time of year when people tend to look back on what they failed to do in the year, compare themselves to other people they perceive as happier or more successful, and feel like failures. And it’s too bad.
Even for people NOT suffering from some underlying mental condition, the holidays bring with them financial stress and busy schedules. It’s enough to make you snap.
So as you put away the holidays, be it Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa or Festivus, put away the angst, too. Pack it up and resolve NOT to unpack it come next December.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.