“Phoenix dad kills son with ax”
“Tolleson dad kills children, then self”
“Phoenix officer, posse member shot, Phoenix neighborhood locked down”
Those aren’t the best headlines, are they?
A Phoenix dad killed his son with an ax during a 24-hour custodial visit.
A dad in Tolleson killed his 6- and 8- year-old daughters and then himself.
On New Year’s Eve in Phoenix a pair of men committed a robbery and while fleeing, shot a Phoenix officer and a sheriff’s posse member. A neighborhood was on lockdown for three hours on the last day of the year. The men were found in a backyard.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the date on the calendar is Jan. 2.
The holidays can be a tough time for anyone, certainly anyone suffering from depression or mental illness.
Certainly any parent who takes the life of their child can’t be in their right mind.
But I have to believe that the holidays are enough to set anyone off, under the right, or wrong, circumstances. There is no other time of year when people tend to look back on what they failed to do in the year, compare themselves to other people they perceive as happier or more successful, and feel like failures. And it’s too bad.
Even for people NOT suffering from some underlying mental condition, the holidays bring with them financial stress and busy schedules. It’s enough to make you snap.
So as you put away the holidays, be it Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa or Festivus, put away the angst, too. Pack it up and resolve NOT to unpack it come next December.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development