“Phoenix dad kills son with ax”
“Tolleson dad kills children, then self”
“Phoenix officer, posse member shot, Phoenix neighborhood locked down”
Those aren’t the best headlines, are they?
A Phoenix dad killed his son with an ax during a 24-hour custodial visit.
A dad in Tolleson killed his 6- and 8- year-old daughters and then himself.
On New Year’s Eve in Phoenix a pair of men committed a robbery and while fleeing, shot a Phoenix officer and a sheriff’s posse member. A neighborhood was on lockdown for three hours on the last day of the year. The men were found in a backyard.
I don’t think it’s any coincidence that the date on the calendar is Jan. 2.
The holidays can be a tough time for anyone, certainly anyone suffering from depression or mental illness.
Certainly any parent who takes the life of their child can’t be in their right mind.
But I have to believe that the holidays are enough to set anyone off, under the right, or wrong, circumstances. There is no other time of year when people tend to look back on what they failed to do in the year, compare themselves to other people they perceive as happier or more successful, and feel like failures. And it’s too bad.
Even for people NOT suffering from some underlying mental condition, the holidays bring with them financial stress and busy schedules. It’s enough to make you snap.
So as you put away the holidays, be it Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa or Festivus, put away the angst, too. Pack it up and resolve NOT to unpack it come next December.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night