Wednesday’s article on AZCentral details the successes and failures of Arizona’s public school tax credit program.
In essence, the program allows Arizona taxpayers to take a bit off their tax bill and direct it at a particular elementary, middle or high school of their choice.
It was passed by the legislature back in 1997 as a way to get approval for a PRIVATE school tax credit. Public school teachers, as you might imagine, hated the idea of private school kids getting the benefit of the tax dollars that were supposed to go to pay for public schools, so adding the public school option helped to get it passed.
You have to pay taxes anyway, right? So why shouldn’t you be able to driect your dollars to the schol your kids go to, or your grandkids or neighbros go to?
Simple: The rich schools get the money and the poor schools don’t.
The schools that account for most of the “free lunch” takers, you know those? The parents whose kids don’t make enough money to pay taxes? They won’t pay the tax credit because its EXTRA. It’s not fair.
Public schools are SUPPPOSED to be as equal as possible, as much “like each other” as is made possible by the law, society, and the enghborhoods in which they are built.
Inequality comes in a lot of forms, from the income and education level of the parents, availability of those parents, and health and well being of the students.
We all know these factors result in higher test scores and college acceptance rates at the wealthier schools. So why is it ok for Catalina Foothills to make $918,827 in 2012, when 58 comparable high schools raised NOTHING?
Look, if you want to donate to your kids school, donate. Give your time, your money, or your car, if you want.
Maybe it’s time we scrapped the tax credits for everyone?
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns