Trey Radel, a first-term tea-party congressman from Florida, has pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of cocaine possession.
In late October, the 37-year-old congressman bought a small amount of coke from an undercover police officer and allegedly it wasn’t the first time. When federal agents approached him, he dropped the drugs to the street, then agreed to talk to those agents in his home, where they found more cocaine.
Radel issued a statement in which he admitted to having an alcohol problem, on which he blamed his “irresponsible choice.” He also apologized. He avoided prison and will instead serve a year of probation.
It should be noted, Radel was a sponsor of legislation to test welfare recipients for drugs before they get benefits.
Hmmm. What about your congressional pay?
I know, Radel and Rob Ford are very different personalities. Rob Ford is brash, rude, overweight and blamed his crack use on “one of his drunken stupors.”
He called out his Toronto city council for taking away some of his powers, saying his crack use and references to prostitutes were isolated instances, but his mannerisms and behavior indicated they were anything but.
Doesn’t Radel’s statement about “the disease of alcoholism” sound better? That, and apologizing to his wife, family, and district, and willingly entering rehab.
My bet is unless Radel screws up again, he’ll get re-elected.
It’s not whether you have a cocaine problem, it’s how you handle it, right?
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food