This story about the bully NFL player just gets more interesting, doesn’t it?
The Miami Dolphins have suspended Richie Incognito, and second-year player Jonathan Martin left the team on his own, but where does it go from here? And how will it affect the behavior of players in the future?
OK, if Richie Incognito is racially motivated in his harassment, he has no place in the NFL. The Miami Dolphins should have had a better handle on what was going on in their locker room. A little hazing is one thing, but the stories coming out of Miami are over the top.
But the part of this story that bothers me the most is that the rookies were expected to pick up the tab for the veterans’ restaurant tabs and boys trips.
I get it. If you sign the biggest contract on the team, you might take your offensive line out to dinner. A gift at the end of the year is always nice.
But in football, where very little money is guaranteed, I think you need to leave the rookies alone.
What may have started out as a fun tradition appears to have gotten out of hand.
The racial comments are uncool, period, but those actions, when reported, are dealt with. And what the players do to each OTHER to take care of such behavior is usually worse than the legal punishment.
And when they get widely reported, the fan backlash against the offender is bad too.
Should Martin have put his foot down and said no? Yep.
Should he have told someone about the racist messages and have expected it to be taken care of? Absolutely.
But he shouldn’t be punished for being the victim of a hostile work environment, even if that environment is the National Football League.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier