This is not a joke.
I wondered the other day whatever happened to the group called RIF.
I remember very vividly, the PSAs that used to air when I was little, brought to you by a group called Reading is Fundamental.
RIF would push reading to kids, and I wondered the other day if it was still around, and if so, how was it being funded.
I don’t know that there is a big enough budget to encourage reading among U.S. kids today. There are way too many distractions and tablets to play with.
Lo and behold, the nonprofit literacy company is alive and well, and here is its latest effort: books instead of toys in Happy Meals at McDonald’s for two weeks in November.
For this, RIF is getting grief. You can see one unhappy customer in the video below.
Critics said that by associating reading with fast food, it’s tricking parents into thinking that McDonald’s has the kids’ best interests in mind. They said McDonald’s is trying to ingratiate itself to parents with the books.
Give RIF some credit. This might not be the best campaign ever, but those toys the kids usually get are worthless, and anything that gets books into kids’ hands is a good thing. Even if it’s in the car.
RIF has the toughest job in the world, second only to the parents.
Get off its back.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development