This is not a joke.
I wondered the other day whatever happened to the group called RIF.
I remember very vividly, the PSAs that used to air when I was little, brought to you by a group called Reading is Fundamental.
RIF would push reading to kids, and I wondered the other day if it was still around, and if so, how was it being funded.
I don’t know that there is a big enough budget to encourage reading among U.S. kids today. There are way too many distractions and tablets to play with.
Lo and behold, the nonprofit literacy company is alive and well, and here is its latest effort: books instead of toys in Happy Meals at McDonald’s for two weeks in November.
For this, RIF is getting grief. You can see one unhappy customer in the video below.
Critics said that by associating reading with fast food, it’s tricking parents into thinking that McDonald’s has the kids’ best interests in mind. They said McDonald’s is trying to ingratiate itself to parents with the books.
Give RIF some credit. This might not be the best campaign ever, but those toys the kids usually get are worthless, and anything that gets books into kids’ hands is a good thing. Even if it’s in the car.
RIF has the toughest job in the world, second only to the parents.
Get off its back.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night