If you thought the government shutdown was bad, get ready for something a lot worse: the debt ceiling.
John Boehner said he has no intention of letting the government default on its debt, but he said it while maintaining that he will use the debt ceiling showdown to again try to force a negotiation on Obamacare.
You can bemoan the closure of national parks or the layoff of civil defense workers, but if the U.S. defaults on its debt, we as private citizens will feel the effects right away. And not because we can’t get into the Smithsonian, either.
Because we can’t buy homes. Or get loans. Big business as we know it will stop.
As much as I hate to point to polls — because I think, too often, politicians rely on them to find out how they should feel about a certain issue — I think it might be a good idea for them to check in and recognize that Americans couldn’t have a lesser opinion of the job they are doing.
But if the U.S. defaults on it’s debt, it won’t matter what Americans think of Congress. We will have another recession to worry about. It will happen fast and take a long time to recover from.
Give up on fixing Obamacare. What it costs is nothing compared to what a default will cost. And it will cost all of us.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night