If you thought the government shutdown was bad, get ready for something a lot worse: the debt ceiling.
John Boehner said he has no intention of letting the government default on its debt, but he said it while maintaining that he will use the debt ceiling showdown to again try to force a negotiation on Obamacare.
You can bemoan the closure of national parks or the layoff of civil defense workers, but if the U.S. defaults on its debt, we as private citizens will feel the effects right away. And not because we can’t get into the Smithsonian, either.
Because we can’t buy homes. Or get loans. Big business as we know it will stop.
As much as I hate to point to polls — because I think, too often, politicians rely on them to find out how they should feel about a certain issue — I think it might be a good idea for them to check in and recognize that Americans couldn’t have a lesser opinion of the job they are doing.
But if the U.S. defaults on it’s debt, it won’t matter what Americans think of Congress. We will have another recession to worry about. It will happen fast and take a long time to recover from.
Give up on fixing Obamacare. What it costs is nothing compared to what a default will cost. And it will cost all of us.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas