Oh boy. It’s on.
The mayors of Scottsdale and Cave Creek have drawn their pens and vowed to fight to the death (well, maybe not the death) over the right to call their respective cities the “West’s Most Western Town.”
It’s long been the motto, or saying, for the city of Scottsdale. It’s even carved in stone on some street corner that I pass on my way to the Starbucks next the nightclub all the kids go to (Yes, that was sarcasm in the last line).
True, Scottsdale does have a lot of streets in Old Town that are lined with shops selling turquoise, kachina dolls and cowboy boots. And there are hitching posts here and there, although the only thing that is tied up there anymore is the occasional underage drinker waiting to be given a breathalyzer.
Most of Scottsdale is pretty decidedly “un-Western,” and truth be told, Cave Creek is a lot more like a town out of the Old West. With places like the Buffalo Chip Saloon and Buffalo Bill’s Trading Post, you might actually feel like you’re in the Western movie on a night out on the town. Boots actually feel like the right thing to wear.
In Scottsdale, it’s more about clubbing and your Prada handbag. There’s nothing wrong with that mind you, but nothing Western about it either.
But the Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane wants to hang onto the label. He effectively wrote a cease and desist letter to Cave Creek that says “You can’t use that label. It’s ours.”
Maybe it will be a shootout at noon at the corner of Scottsdale and Camelback roads. You know, right between Barney’s and P.F. Chang’s, across from the Scottsdale Culinary Institute.
Bring your black American Express card to buy the best seats!
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck