Oh boy. It’s on.
The mayors of Scottsdale and Cave Creek have drawn their pens and vowed to fight to the death (well, maybe not the death) over the right to call their respective cities the “West’s Most Western Town.”
It’s long been the motto, or saying, for the city of Scottsdale. It’s even carved in stone on some street corner that I pass on my way to the Starbucks next the nightclub all the kids go to (Yes, that was sarcasm in the last line).
True, Scottsdale does have a lot of streets in Old Town that are lined with shops selling turquoise, kachina dolls and cowboy boots. And there are hitching posts here and there, although the only thing that is tied up there anymore is the occasional underage drinker waiting to be given a breathalyzer.
Most of Scottsdale is pretty decidedly “un-Western,” and truth be told, Cave Creek is a lot more like a town out of the Old West. With places like the Buffalo Chip Saloon and Buffalo Bill’s Trading Post, you might actually feel like you’re in the Western movie on a night out on the town. Boots actually feel like the right thing to wear.
In Scottsdale, it’s more about clubbing and your Prada handbag. There’s nothing wrong with that mind you, but nothing Western about it either.
But the Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane wants to hang onto the label. He effectively wrote a cease and desist letter to Cave Creek that says “You can’t use that label. It’s ours.”
Maybe it will be a shootout at noon at the corner of Scottsdale and Camelback roads. You know, right between Barney’s and P.F. Chang’s, across from the Scottsdale Culinary Institute.
Bring your black American Express card to buy the best seats!
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips