When the White House issued it’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program last year, thousands of children of illegal immigrants, who were brought here by their parents often before they could walk, breathed a sigh of relief.
The believed they finally had a legal right to pursue a life in this country. For many of them, it’s the only country they had ever known.
To date, more than 16,000 undocumented immigrants in Arizona have sought this deferred action status, meaning the federal government considers their status here to be legal. But in Arizona, you still can’t get a driver’s license as a Dreamer, which means it’s hard to get and keep a job.
Guess what else it means?
If one of these hard-working, out-of-trouble kids decides to drive to work ANYWAY, and runs into YOU, and they don’t have a drivers license, guess what else they DON’T have? Car insurance.
And we won’t know where to find them and charge them. They might be apt to flee.
I know. It happened to me.
You will wind up paying for them, one way or another, so why not give them a license and a chance to do it the right way?
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain