On Sept. 11, we remember. With ceremonies, lowered flags and an overall somber mood, we remember the lives lost that day.
In Arizona, of course, we especially remember Pat Tillman.
In Pennsylvania, people gather where Flight 93, which terrorists had bound for the Capitol, went down. And in Washington, despite those who still don’t believe it was an act of terror, those who died when Flight 77 hit the Pentagon are remembered.
So many places we remember. We remind ourselves to never forget.
But as grand as some memorials are, there is one that I think deserves some special recognition.
I found it by accident a few years ago when I was on a family trip to New York City.
It’s at the American Express building across the street from ground zero. It’s called “Eleven Tears” and was designed by Ken Smith. It’s open to the public, if you know where to look.
It has 11 sides, for the 11 American Express employees who died that day. It’s a granite pool, with a 600-pound crystal above it that drips water, like tears, into a display. The display has the names of the 11, plus a little bit about each one of them.
It’s peaceful. And probably doesn’t get nearly the attention the other memorials do.
But I’m glad I found it.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development