On Sept. 11, we remember. With ceremonies, lowered flags and an overall somber mood, we remember the lives lost that day.
In Arizona, of course, we especially remember Pat Tillman.
In Pennsylvania, people gather where Flight 93, which terrorists had bound for the Capitol, went down. And in Washington, despite those who still don’t believe it was an act of terror, those who died when Flight 77 hit the Pentagon are remembered.
So many places we remember. We remind ourselves to never forget.
But as grand as some memorials are, there is one that I think deserves some special recognition.
I found it by accident a few years ago when I was on a family trip to New York City.
It’s at the American Express building across the street from ground zero. It’s called “Eleven Tears” and was designed by Ken Smith. It’s open to the public, if you know where to look.
It has 11 sides, for the 11 American Express employees who died that day. It’s a granite pool, with a 600-pound crystal above it that drips water, like tears, into a display. The display has the names of the 11, plus a little bit about each one of them.
It’s peaceful. And probably doesn’t get nearly the attention the other memorials do.
But I’m glad I found it.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again