On Sept. 11, we remember. With ceremonies, lowered flags and an overall somber mood, we remember the lives lost that day.
In Arizona, of course, we especially remember Pat Tillman.
In Pennsylvania, people gather where Flight 93, which terrorists had bound for the Capitol, went down. And in Washington, despite those who still don’t believe it was an act of terror, those who died when Flight 77 hit the Pentagon are remembered.
So many places we remember. We remind ourselves to never forget.
But as grand as some memorials are, there is one that I think deserves some special recognition.
I found it by accident a few years ago when I was on a family trip to New York City.
It’s at the American Express building across the street from ground zero. It’s called “Eleven Tears” and was designed by Ken Smith. It’s open to the public, if you know where to look.
It has 11 sides, for the 11 American Express employees who died that day. It’s a granite pool, with a 600-pound crystal above it that drips water, like tears, into a display. The display has the names of the 11, plus a little bit about each one of them.
It’s peaceful. And probably doesn’t get nearly the attention the other memorials do.
But I’m glad I found it.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night