Have you Googled something lately?
OK, maybe you didn’t use Google.com, but you likely typed something into your search engine of choice to find it on the Web. Isn’t it amazing how quickly THAT became the way we get information?
Google turns 15 this month.
In 15 years, the company went from filing paperwork to incorporate to becoming the industry standard for finding stuff. Any stuff.
And if you haven’t Googled yourself, you might be amazed at what’s out there. It makes you wonder if there are any secrets left.
A writer at Nerve.com described himself as a Google “stalker.”
He said that he never goes out on a date without first Googling the woman. Thus, he knows everything about them. There are no secrets. And no strangers.
“Every date is like a movie based on a book I have already read.”
I don’t know about you, but this sounds pretty boring.
And what if something your date says doesn’t jibe with his or her online google profile? You might not trust that person anymore and what if it’s the online profile that’s wrong?
And what about the idea of just MEETING someone NEW?
Are we so scared these days that we don’t want to?
I, for one, am really glad I am not dating right now.
Not only was I a terrible dater, I am not quite up to speed on all the social media ramifications.
But mostly I don’t want to be judged for something I might not actually be because you read something online. It’s like being judged on something that someone who doesn’t even know you SAYS about you to someone you haven’t met yet.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments