Monday’s headlines are all about A-Rod and the baseball suspensions and the crazy driver who killed someone and injured 11 on the boardwalk in Venice, Calif.
But the story I liked the most has nothing to do with either of those — it has to do with what you maybe had for lunch.
So, the latest in this story is that the mind behind Google, Sergey Brin, is the one who put up the research and development funds to create this fake meat.
It uses the building blocks of beef, at the cellular level, to create a burger that looks, tastes, and chews like beef. The idea behind it is that we have maxed out on our ability as a planet to raise beef cattle without irreparably damaging our environment.
The scientist behind this new Frankenbeef said that as far as the health of the planet is concerned, a vegetarian in a Hummer is better than a meat eater on a bicycle.
If that’s true, then I’m glad someone has at least looked INTO this process. I am not naive enough to think that all meat eaters will warm up to the lab burger, nor should they.
But if 70 percent of the world’s meat consumption, including the fast-food joints and kids’ cafeterias, could be this fake beef that has no virtual carbon footprint, and for the most part, no one missed the real stuff, so be it.
And what if this environmentally friendly process could allow for a higher grade of beef that you could pay for if you choose, say, 30 percent of the time?
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food