This study that said someone with skin cancer will keep using a tanning bed is seriously disturbing.
Look, I grew up in northeast Ohio. The sun doesn’t shine there much, and so every year when prom time rolled around, all the high school girls would save up their extra allowance or paycheck money and buy whatever “tanning” package we could afford.
And of course, we’d get burned. At least the really white ones, like me. My girlfriends with that great olive-toned Italian skin would be fine.
We’d lie to our moms about it, just like everything else we weren’t allowed to do because it was bad for us.
Why? Because we couldn’t stand the idea of looking so WHITE in the pictures.
(Never mind that we completely lost sight of what a normal color was for skin, so as a result, the prom pictures I have from the early 1980s look frighteningly like the pictures of the tanning mom Patricia Krentcil!!) But we were young. And STUPID.
There’s nothing like being 17 to cause you to not care AT ALL about what you will look like tomorrow or whether or not you will get skin cancer.
But if you are still tanning indoors at age 30, I need to sit down with you.
And if you have been diagnosed with skin cancer and you are still tanning, I’m not sure I know what to say.
This study confirms what I already thought was true.
Some people are just addicted to tanning.
Forget skin cancer, do you know how old you look?
It’s not good.
The tan lasts a week. The skin damage lasts a lifetime.
That vanity that is causing you to tan when you are young is going to haunt you when you’re old.
Or when you ‘re still young, but LOOK like you’re 80.
Give it a rest.
You’ll thank me later.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas