I traveled over the long holiday weekend like a lot of you probably did. I got on a plane and went back to the Midwest for a family wedding.
I flew back on Saturday night, and I was packing up when news broke about the crash of the Asiana flight at San Francisco International. So when I got to the airport in Indianapolis there was a local TV news crew interviewing passengers about fear of flying. I told them that, in general, I thought driving to the airport was more dangerous than flying.
My brother also got interviewed, and for some reason, they used HIS comments but not mine. Whatever. …
In any case, I do tend to believe that for the most part, once you board a plane, your safety, your fate, is out of your hands.
What we saw in San Francisco is that, with the right training, a well-trained crew, and a little luck, it’s possible to get out of a crash like that one alive.
What we are also learning, however, is a little scary.
We are finding out that the pilot of that Boeing 777 was on a “training” flight, with less than 50 hours under his belt flying that particular type of aircraft.
I don’t know if having a more experienced pilot flying that day would have prevented the accident. Only a full investigation will determine that.
But I do know that pilots talk about the fact that some airports are tougher to land at than others. When I drive a truck instead of my car, I know I clip a few curbs.
I do know that I am glad the crew on board had the experience necessary to help save the lives of almost every other person on board. What if it had been THEIR first flight??
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy