I traveled over the long holiday weekend like a lot of you probably did. I got on a plane and went back to the Midwest for a family wedding.
I flew back on Saturday night, and I was packing up when news broke about the crash of the Asiana flight at San Francisco International. So when I got to the airport in Indianapolis there was a local TV news crew interviewing passengers about fear of flying. I told them that, in general, I thought driving to the airport was more dangerous than flying.
My brother also got interviewed, and for some reason, they used HIS comments but not mine. Whatever. …
In any case, I do tend to believe that for the most part, once you board a plane, your safety, your fate, is out of your hands.
What we saw in San Francisco is that, with the right training, a well-trained crew, and a little luck, it’s possible to get out of a crash like that one alive.
What we are also learning, however, is a little scary.
We are finding out that the pilot of that Boeing 777 was on a “training” flight, with less than 50 hours under his belt flying that particular type of aircraft.
I don’t know if having a more experienced pilot flying that day would have prevented the accident. Only a full investigation will determine that.
But I do know that pilots talk about the fact that some airports are tougher to land at than others. When I drive a truck instead of my car, I know I clip a few curbs.
I do know that I am glad the crew on board had the experience necessary to help save the lives of almost every other person on board. What if it had been THEIR first flight??
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development