I traveled over the long holiday weekend like a lot of you probably did. I got on a plane and went back to the Midwest for a family wedding.
I flew back on Saturday night, and I was packing up when news broke about the crash of the Asiana flight at San Francisco International. So when I got to the airport in Indianapolis there was a local TV news crew interviewing passengers about fear of flying. I told them that, in general, I thought driving to the airport was more dangerous than flying.
My brother also got interviewed, and for some reason, they used HIS comments but not mine. Whatever. …
In any case, I do tend to believe that for the most part, once you board a plane, your safety, your fate, is out of your hands.
What we saw in San Francisco is that, with the right training, a well-trained crew, and a little luck, it’s possible to get out of a crash like that one alive.
What we are also learning, however, is a little scary.
We are finding out that the pilot of that Boeing 777 was on a “training” flight, with less than 50 hours under his belt flying that particular type of aircraft.
I don’t know if having a more experienced pilot flying that day would have prevented the accident. Only a full investigation will determine that.
But I do know that pilots talk about the fact that some airports are tougher to land at than others. When I drive a truck instead of my car, I know I clip a few curbs.
I do know that I am glad the crew on board had the experience necessary to help save the lives of almost every other person on board. What if it had been THEIR first flight??
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier