As we head into the Fourth of July holiday weekend, I find it oddly fitting that NSA leaker Edward Snowden has no country to go to.
He’s still stuck in the Moscow airport, looking for someplace that will take him. Russia, Hong Kong and even Ecuador have said no.
Snowden’s father Lonnie has written a letter to his son comparing him to a modern-day Paul Revere. The letter said the NSA leaks have helped to “awaken” Congressional oversight of U.S. intelligence from a “deep slumber.”
Paul Revere? Perhaps not the best comparison.
Except apparently, Congress knew of the NSA programs.
Look, I get that Edward Snowden’s dad will do anything he can to support his son in what seems like an increasingly unwinnable game of chess against the U.S.
Of COURSE you are going to try to liken your son to a heroic American like a Paul Revere. But Snowden didn’t get on his horse and risk his life by riding through the night to warn his fellow Americans that the enemy was coming. Our enemies right now are all around us. Since 9/11, the focus has been on groups like al-Qaida, but in reality, many of the deadly attacks we’ve seen in recent years have been from homegrown enemies.
I don’t think the NSA is doing most Americans any harm by the so-called spying that is going on. Do I wish that, given that they ARE spying, to an extent, that domestic acts of terror like the Boston Marathon Bombings?
Edward Snowden, you are no Paul Revere.
Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend in Moscow.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development