As we head into the Fourth of July holiday weekend, I find it oddly fitting that NSA leaker Edward Snowden has no country to go to.
He’s still stuck in the Moscow airport, looking for someplace that will take him. Russia, Hong Kong and even Ecuador have said no.
Snowden’s father Lonnie has written a letter to his son comparing him to a modern-day Paul Revere. The letter said the NSA leaks have helped to “awaken” Congressional oversight of U.S. intelligence from a “deep slumber.”
Paul Revere? Perhaps not the best comparison.
Except apparently, Congress knew of the NSA programs.
Look, I get that Edward Snowden’s dad will do anything he can to support his son in what seems like an increasingly unwinnable game of chess against the U.S.
Of COURSE you are going to try to liken your son to a heroic American like a Paul Revere. But Snowden didn’t get on his horse and risk his life by riding through the night to warn his fellow Americans that the enemy was coming. Our enemies right now are all around us. Since 9/11, the focus has been on groups like al-Qaida, but in reality, many of the deadly attacks we’ve seen in recent years have been from homegrown enemies.
I don’t think the NSA is doing most Americans any harm by the so-called spying that is going on. Do I wish that, given that they ARE spying, to an extent, that domestic acts of terror like the Boston Marathon Bombings?
Edward Snowden, you are no Paul Revere.
Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend in Moscow.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night