As we head into the Fourth of July holiday weekend, I find it oddly fitting that NSA leaker Edward Snowden has no country to go to.
He’s still stuck in the Moscow airport, looking for someplace that will take him. Russia, Hong Kong and even Ecuador have said no.
Snowden’s father Lonnie has written a letter to his son comparing him to a modern-day Paul Revere. The letter said the NSA leaks have helped to “awaken” Congressional oversight of U.S. intelligence from a “deep slumber.”
Paul Revere? Perhaps not the best comparison.
Except apparently, Congress knew of the NSA programs.
Look, I get that Edward Snowden’s dad will do anything he can to support his son in what seems like an increasingly unwinnable game of chess against the U.S.
Of COURSE you are going to try to liken your son to a heroic American like a Paul Revere. But Snowden didn’t get on his horse and risk his life by riding through the night to warn his fellow Americans that the enemy was coming. Our enemies right now are all around us. Since 9/11, the focus has been on groups like al-Qaida, but in reality, many of the deadly attacks we’ve seen in recent years have been from homegrown enemies.
I don’t think the NSA is doing most Americans any harm by the so-called spying that is going on. Do I wish that, given that they ARE spying, to an extent, that domestic acts of terror like the Boston Marathon Bombings?
Edward Snowden, you are no Paul Revere.
Enjoy your Fourth of July weekend in Moscow.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food