The City of Chicago and the Blackhawks took home the Stanley Cup Monday night when they beat the Boston Bruins in Game 6. Even in Boston, where the game was played, there were a lot of Blackhawks fans in the stands, pulling for their team.
Chicago loves their Blackhawks. How much? A lot. Chicago ranks number one in attendance in the NHL.
The Coyotes? Yep, they rank second-to-last.
Look, I like hockey. What great fun, especially in Phoenix, IN JUNE, to go into an ice palace for sports. But I don’t like it enough to pay for it.
And apparently, neither do you.
I like being a four-sports town, but I don’t want to do it if it means the City of Glendale has to mortgage its city hall and it’s future to do it and Glendale is about to do just that.
On the agenda at Tuesday’s city council meeting is an emergency measure to secure a lease-purchase agreement for a maximum of $30 million on Glendale’s City Hall complex.
The city has been paying the NHL to cover its losses and to operate Jobing.com Arena. The city has already tapped funds set aside for landfills, sanitation and water and sewer services. This in a city where 911 service was at risk last year.
I know, a lot of people’s jobs depend on the Coyotes. Shops at Westage and security jobs all could go away if the Coyotes leave.
I am a huge fan of Shane Doan and all the Coyotes. If hockey is your sports passion and you live in Phoenix, I feel sorry for the loss that I think is coming.
I think sports teams CAN be a great economic engine. This one just isn’t.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets