The City of Chicago and the Blackhawks took home the Stanley Cup Monday night when they beat the Boston Bruins in Game 6. Even in Boston, where the game was played, there were a lot of Blackhawks fans in the stands, pulling for their team.
Chicago loves their Blackhawks. How much? A lot. Chicago ranks number one in attendance in the NHL.
The Coyotes? Yep, they rank second-to-last.
Look, I like hockey. What great fun, especially in Phoenix, IN JUNE, to go into an ice palace for sports. But I don’t like it enough to pay for it.
And apparently, neither do you.
I like being a four-sports town, but I don’t want to do it if it means the City of Glendale has to mortgage its city hall and it’s future to do it and Glendale is about to do just that.
On the agenda at Tuesday’s city council meeting is an emergency measure to secure a lease-purchase agreement for a maximum of $30 million on Glendale’s City Hall complex.
The city has been paying the NHL to cover its losses and to operate Jobing.com Arena. The city has already tapped funds set aside for landfills, sanitation and water and sewer services. This in a city where 911 service was at risk last year.
I know, a lot of people’s jobs depend on the Coyotes. Shops at Westage and security jobs all could go away if the Coyotes leave.
I am a huge fan of Shane Doan and all the Coyotes. If hockey is your sports passion and you live in Phoenix, I feel sorry for the loss that I think is coming.
I think sports teams CAN be a great economic engine. This one just isn’t.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America