A new study out said that 70 percent of Americans have credit cards. Back in the 1970s, only 20 percent of Americans HAD credit cards.
Remember the days when pulling out a credit card was a big deal? My dad used to pay in cash whenever possible.
He did business that way for a lot of reasons.
One, he didn’t ever buy anything he couldn’t afford.
Two, he didn’t like leaving a paper trail behind when he made a purchase, no matter what it was.
It wasn’t that he was hiding anything, he just didn’t think it was anyone else’s business what he spent money on.
I wish my dad was still here so we could talk about the state of money in this country. I think the way he did it was right for a lot of reasons.
First, the idea of not buying something you can’t afford is pretty basic, really, yet we don’t seem to get that in America anymore.
We see our neighbor driving a new car and all of a sudden WE want one. Not only that, we think we deserve one. Never mind the fact that we don’t know what he paid for it or how much money he has in the bank.
Nope, all we know is that car is shiny and new and we want it too.
Add to that the fact we are willing to pay MORE to borrow money to by that which we can’t afford. And don’t think you don’t leave a paper trail when you buy on credit.
Most Americans value their privacy and say they will do ANYthing to safeguard it.
But they use Visa or MasterCard to finance their purchases, including groceries, entertainment and medical.
It’s a real contradiciton, if you think about it.
But most of us don’t. Think about it, that is.
Does everyone NEED a credit card? No.
Does it make life easier? It can.
But the housing crisis of 2008 was brought about in large part because somehow we decided that ALL Americans should have the opportunity to own a home. Remember that?
We found out the hard way that wasn’t the case.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon