A new study out said that 70 percent of Americans have credit cards. Back in the 1970s, only 20 percent of Americans HAD credit cards.
Remember the days when pulling out a credit card was a big deal? My dad used to pay in cash whenever possible.
He did business that way for a lot of reasons.
One, he didn’t ever buy anything he couldn’t afford.
Two, he didn’t like leaving a paper trail behind when he made a purchase, no matter what it was.
It wasn’t that he was hiding anything, he just didn’t think it was anyone else’s business what he spent money on.
I wish my dad was still here so we could talk about the state of money in this country. I think the way he did it was right for a lot of reasons.
First, the idea of not buying something you can’t afford is pretty basic, really, yet we don’t seem to get that in America anymore.
We see our neighbor driving a new car and all of a sudden WE want one. Not only that, we think we deserve one. Never mind the fact that we don’t know what he paid for it or how much money he has in the bank.
Nope, all we know is that car is shiny and new and we want it too.
Add to that the fact we are willing to pay MORE to borrow money to by that which we can’t afford. And don’t think you don’t leave a paper trail when you buy on credit.
Most Americans value their privacy and say they will do ANYthing to safeguard it.
But they use Visa or MasterCard to finance their purchases, including groceries, entertainment and medical.
It’s a real contradiciton, if you think about it.
But most of us don’t. Think about it, that is.
Does everyone NEED a credit card? No.
Does it make life easier? It can.
But the housing crisis of 2008 was brought about in large part because somehow we decided that ALL Americans should have the opportunity to own a home. Remember that?
We found out the hard way that wasn’t the case.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.