In the past, media would look back at newspaper headlines and proclaim “The top 10 stories of the year were…”
Stories that make headlines do shape the way we see the world and affect what we talk about every day, but just because a story makes the biggest headlines, doesn’t mean we talk about it the most. In fact, the stories that get us talking are often hard to measure.
The social media network is an exact barometer of how many people are talking about certain topics, and tracks how many retweets a story gets. Some of this year’s top twitter topics are obvious. Some, not so much.
Number one tweet this year? “Four More Years” from the White House, accompanied by a picture of the president and first lady, hugging on election night.
Number two? An RIP tweet from Justin Bieber, to one of his young fans who died of cancer at age six. Can’t you just hear little girls (or their mothers) as they re-tweet, saying, “Awwwww.”
Other topics: the Olympics and Usain Bolt, the death of Whitney Houston, and election 2012.
A measure of what we as Americans think is important? Maybe. A measure of what people addicted to social media think is important? Certainly.
But those two groups are looking more and more the same with every year that passes.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy