In the past, media would look back at newspaper headlines and proclaim “The top 10 stories of the year were…”
Stories that make headlines do shape the way we see the world and affect what we talk about every day, but just because a story makes the biggest headlines, doesn’t mean we talk about it the most. In fact, the stories that get us talking are often hard to measure.
The social media network is an exact barometer of how many people are talking about certain topics, and tracks how many retweets a story gets. Some of this year’s top twitter topics are obvious. Some, not so much.
Number one tweet this year? “Four More Years” from the White House, accompanied by a picture of the president and first lady, hugging on election night.
Number two? An RIP tweet from Justin Bieber, to one of his young fans who died of cancer at age six. Can’t you just hear little girls (or their mothers) as they re-tweet, saying, “Awwwww.”
Other topics: the Olympics and Usain Bolt, the death of Whitney Houston, and election 2012.
A measure of what we as Americans think is important? Maybe. A measure of what people addicted to social media think is important? Certainly.
But those two groups are looking more and more the same with every year that passes.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck