First of all, an apology. I had REALLY meant to blog Monday about my wheat free weekend. But a major carbon monoxide leak at my house left me at a real loss for a few days. More on that later.
That was the interruption. The blog was interrupted, but wheat-free Karie continues!
I need to admit that weekends wheat free are hard. First, there are lots of baseball games. And football games. There are the kind played by your kids, and the kind you go to at Chase Field or Sun Devil Stadium.
Both kinds sort of go hand in hand with bread. Such as the hot dog buns at the baseball games and the pizza they serve at those tailgates. And the beer. Oh, the beer. The cold, Ranger Pale Ale that has been my frienemy for so many years.
I have always been a beer girl. And since my 20s, when I tasted really good craft-brewed pale ales, I have been in love with hops. But I always knew, in the back of my mind, that beer wasn’t good for my body… wasn’t good for the female figure overall. So I rationalized.
Since giving up beer more than two weeks ago, my stomach has been throwing a little thank you party for me. It is happy and healthy, and fits in my jeans just a little bit nicer.
My wonderful husband has gone to many stores in search of the perfect gluten free beer, and for this I am so grateful. He has called friends and taken informal polls, and he finally found one that I think is worth drinking.
At least it’s worth drinking at a tailgate party, or after golf, or any other place where beer is required.
Its called Estrella Daura, and it is brewed in Spain so it is ridiculously expensive. It is sold in packs of four, not six, to add to exclusivity and panache.
Still, it passes for beer and I will make it my tailgate party drink of choice.
My new drink didn’t make it to this tailgate, however, because my parking space at the Sun Devils game and my tailgate with friends were too far apart. I figured I could make it without beer and I failed. I looked longingly at the pizza and the pale ales in bottles and only lasted about 10 minutes. I need to plan better next time.
For the most part, I stuck to chicken and veggies and eggs for the weekend — corn chips and dark chocolate (not together) for the salty and sweet cravings, and I still feel really, REALLY good. I think the most surprising thing, besides how good I feel, is that most people are very supportive of my choice. Few people tell me they think I am crazy (but you know who you are). And a lot of people say they have thought about going wheat free as well, but didn’t know how or were scared to try.
And tonight I made two different macaroni and cheese casseroles. One was regular, decadant, Grandma Sue’s, the other was with brown rice pasta and quinoa flour. I was hoping my family wouldn’t know the difference.
They did! And so did I. Not a total failure, but not a true success. The wheat free one is on the left above. The really tasty one is on the right.
I just found out another of my sisters has been eating this way for about a year. I didn’t even know, though she lives in another state so I don’t see her eat very often!
She is coming for Christmas… I can’t wait to compare notes.
Two weeks and one day down. 21 days will be easy. (:
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them