I have come face to face with wheat. And I have walked away!
But the last two days were really, REALLY hard.
Last night, my husband and I went to a Teach for America reception at dinnertime. It was at a beautiful home that belongs to friends of ours, and everything at this house and at these gatherings is always top-notch. Including the food. The hostess welcomed me and said “There’s food in the kitchen.. help yourself.” I was scared. And for good reason! The counters were overloaded with platters of food. There were pigs in little blankets… open faced mini club sandwiches… and crab cakes, with bread crumbs, of course.
I ate raw veggies. I really wanted the pigs blankets.
I just kept reminding myself “I feel great… I feel great!” I can’t deny that I do. And it’s GOT to be the lack of wheat.
Still, it looks so tasty!!
We went to dinner at Tarbells. Mark was a guest on the show and he said his menu is actually about 85% gluten free. Fantastic!
Except for the bread. That delicious, warm, crusty French loaf that comes with a bowl of olive oil.
Strike two! The server put it down and I had to have my husband hide it behind his wine. God, it looked good. At one point he even taunted me with it… I told him he was over the line. Grrrrrr
And this morning I went to pick up a salad for work…. Where did genius, wheat free me decide to go? Wildflower Bread Company. Brilliant. It’s like I didn’t THINK that would be difficult. Or maybe, sub-conciously, I thought that looking into the eye of the beast would be good for me.
I ordered a chopped salad, hold the bread… God, I never thought that would be possible.
But it is… and I DO feel great. It’s undeniable. I am getting pretty good support too, and overall, this 10 days has been easier than I thought it would be.
But I still don’t like the pizza. (:
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain