On Tuesday’s show, Chuck and I talked about Marissa Mayer, Yahoo’s new CEO.
Chuck thought Yahoo should wait til Marissa had her baby to announce her hiring. He reasoned that she doesn’t know how she will react to having her first child, and after delivering and caring for a newborn, she might not be up for the task.
He’s right. She might not be. But I believe she deserves the chance to find out.
She has proven herself to be intelligent and hard-working, resourceful and energetic. I have no doubt that if anyone could take on such a life change and enormous new job at the same time and be a success, she could.
And if her name was William Mayer, and it was William’s wife having the child, no one would question either the ability of the new hire or the company’s wisdom in making it.
For that reason alone, she deserves the opportunity.
It’s going to be hard, and she will have more wrinkles, less sleep and a closet full of work-appropriate stretch pants when it’s all over, but I am betting she is up for the task.
Good luck Marissa, and congratulations Yahoo for your courage and confidence in your new hire.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments