On Tuesday’s show, Chuck and I talked about Marissa Mayer, Yahoo’s new CEO.
Chuck thought Yahoo should wait til Marissa had her baby to announce her hiring. He reasoned that she doesn’t know how she will react to having her first child, and after delivering and caring for a newborn, she might not be up for the task.
He’s right. She might not be. But I believe she deserves the chance to find out.
She has proven herself to be intelligent and hard-working, resourceful and energetic. I have no doubt that if anyone could take on such a life change and enormous new job at the same time and be a success, she could.
And if her name was William Mayer, and it was William’s wife having the child, no one would question either the ability of the new hire or the company’s wisdom in making it.
For that reason alone, she deserves the opportunity.
It’s going to be hard, and she will have more wrinkles, less sleep and a closet full of work-appropriate stretch pants when it’s all over, but I am betting she is up for the task.
Good luck Marissa, and congratulations Yahoo for your courage and confidence in your new hire.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees