Wednesday night, the West Valley took a beating from high winds and rain. I know because I was there.
I opened my back door and couldn’t see past the patio. The kids thought it was the coolest thing that they had ever seen. My wife was worried about the pool umbrellas. What I didn’t hear in the Russell house was complaining about all of these annoying monsoons.
It’s a time-honored Arizona tradition. Arizonans complain about the weather for about 300 days of the year. That leaves us with roughly two months of climate calm.
If you find these claims offensive, then you are probably the worst of the lot.
I hear this nonsense EVERY season. Yes, Arizona has seasons.
• “This heat is killing me!” First of all, it’s not killing you. Second, you live in the middle of the freakin’ desert. What did you expect when you moved here? Arizona (and most deserts) has a reputation for high temps. Did you miss that in the brochure?
• “We REALLY need some rain.” Once again, you live in the desert. Show some patience.
• “We just need to get past this monsoon season.” PICK A SIDE! As if every resident starts a rain dance in early August, our dry weather turns to rainy and humid. Once again, not good enough for us.
Then there is inevitable annual ritual of covering our plants for the two-day “freeze.” “When will spring get here? This cold weather is just a hassle.” We long for the days of warmer weather so we can start complaining about the heat.
The fact is that we have an AMAZING climate here in Arizona. It’s high time people stop bellyaching about weather, stop screaming about the kids on your lawn, get outside and enjoy what AZ has to offer.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development