For many parts of the Valley, the school year is up and running.
It’s a tough time for our kids. Think about all of the social anxieties that they face at the onset of a new school year. Yet every year, the kids jump right in and overcome these anxieties without administrative intervention. For most kids, renewing friendships and fostering new ones has always been the first priority.
For the girls, I have NO clue how this is done. I defer to my wife on matters dealing with our 8-year-old daughter. But for the boys, I know exactly how this plays out.
Males are pack animals. We like to quickly assemble, establish leadership and get on to the business of playing cool games. Cool games like dodgeball, “Cowboys and Indians,” “Cops and Robbers” or tug-of-war.
Wait, what? We can’t play these games anymore? What’s zero-tolerance?
Zero-tolerance has been making headlines from coast-to-coast. In Virginia, a boy was suspended from school for using a pencil to “shoot” a bad guy. How about the Colorado boy who was suspended for throwing an IMAGINARY hand grenade at bad guys to save the world…or playground?
This nonsense has to stop. Can’t we let boys build friendships and bonds the way, well, boys do? Gun play is a time-honored playground tradition and one of the most effective ways to bond. It would teach us competition and teamwork. If we were feeling confident, we might even invite a cute girl to play along as the damsel in distress. There was nothing more empowering to a young man than slaying the villains, throwing the young princess on the back of your imaginary horse and riding off into the sunset.
So if the liberal crybabies have taken “War,” “Cops and Robbers,” “Cowboys and Indians” and imaginary hand grenades from our boys, at least they still have dodgeball.
Wait, no dodgeball? I give up!
Dodgeball is the best life lesson from the playground. You take one shot to the head after another, get back up, dust yourself off, grab another ball and attack. The strong survive and the weak join the French Club.
Schools need to stop taking the fun out of being a boy. Period!
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again