About 61 percent of Americans will be working on their “vacations” this summer.
As a father of two and a lover of the outdoors, this is not that big of a problem. When you are done rolling your eyes, hear me out.
I have made a very distinct differentiation between traveling with the family and vacation: Traveling with the family is relocation more than it is a vacation. Checking email or returning a few office calls doesn’t seem like such a big deal when the only difference in my daily routine is climate or geographic location. Family vacations are hard work. Checking email and returning work calls might be the only shot at relaxation the parents get.
A true vacation in my world is an adventure where a cell phone’s functionality is reduced to a camera. I don’t have use for tech in a hunting blind, fishing kayak or tree stand. There aren’t cell towers or hotspots in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This is a choice that is made to limit the amount of tech I have access to. I take far too few of these types of getaways but when I do, my batteries are quickly recharged.
As it is good for parents to get some time alone and away from the kids, I believe that all of us can utilize the same philosophy with technology. The break just might do your soul some good. Get back to your roots, cut the “tech cord” and have an adventure!
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise