About 61 percent of Americans will be working on their “vacations” this summer.
As a father of two and a lover of the outdoors, this is not that big of a problem. When you are done rolling your eyes, hear me out.
I have made a very distinct differentiation between traveling with the family and vacation: Traveling with the family is relocation more than it is a vacation. Checking email or returning a few office calls doesn’t seem like such a big deal when the only difference in my daily routine is climate or geographic location. Family vacations are hard work. Checking email and returning work calls might be the only shot at relaxation the parents get.
A true vacation in my world is an adventure where a cell phone’s functionality is reduced to a camera. I don’t have use for tech in a hunting blind, fishing kayak or tree stand. There aren’t cell towers or hotspots in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. This is a choice that is made to limit the amount of tech I have access to. I take far too few of these types of getaways but when I do, my batteries are quickly recharged.
As it is good for parents to get some time alone and away from the kids, I believe that all of us can utilize the same philosophy with technology. The break just might do your soul some good. Get back to your roots, cut the “tech cord” and have an adventure!
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.