National estimates say only 14 percent of registered voters show up for primaries. My guess is that you guys might be a bit more engaged…so let’s say 20 percent.
The problem, as I see it, is with so many “safe” seats and races, the primary is the only competitive election. We have been conditioned to think about general elections as “important,” but it seems the political parties figured out they can’t control the masses and would rather play to a smaller, more passionate crowd. In some cases, a few thousand votes TOTAL are cast in the primary!
By the time you — the average voter — gets engaged in the process in October, the candidates have already been chosen and the winner has been pre-determined by the “R” or “D” next to their name. We are only left to grumble about the choices, and many end up voting for the lesser of two evils.
But if we do not participate in the primaries, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments