National estimates say only 14 percent of registered voters show up for primaries. My guess is that you guys might be a bit more engaged…so let’s say 20 percent.
The problem, as I see it, is with so many “safe” seats and races, the primary is the only competitive election. We have been conditioned to think about general elections as “important,” but it seems the political parties figured out they can’t control the masses and would rather play to a smaller, more passionate crowd. In some cases, a few thousand votes TOTAL are cast in the primary!
By the time you — the average voter — gets engaged in the process in October, the candidates have already been chosen and the winner has been pre-determined by the “R” or “D” next to their name. We are only left to grumble about the choices, and many end up voting for the lesser of two evils.
But if we do not participate in the primaries, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths