National estimates say only 14 percent of registered voters show up for primaries. My guess is that you guys might be a bit more engaged…so let’s say 20 percent.
The problem, as I see it, is with so many “safe” seats and races, the primary is the only competitive election. We have been conditioned to think about general elections as “important,” but it seems the political parties figured out they can’t control the masses and would rather play to a smaller, more passionate crowd. In some cases, a few thousand votes TOTAL are cast in the primary!
By the time you — the average voter — gets engaged in the process in October, the candidates have already been chosen and the winner has been pre-determined by the “R” or “D” next to their name. We are only left to grumble about the choices, and many end up voting for the lesser of two evils.
But if we do not participate in the primaries, we have no one to blame but ourselves.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development